Apple popularized the practice of tracking battery health for devices. iPhones and iPads show the battery health which helps to manage and keep their battery healthy. The latest iPhone 15 series comes with a battery-related feature that shows battery cycle count. Although the feature is not available on other iPhones, it is still possible to view the cycle count on all iPhones.
In this guide, I will share a few methods to check the battery cycle count on all iPhones. The cycle count represents the number of times you have fully discharged your iPhone, with each discharge to a few percent accumulating towards the cycle count. Once this cumulative discharge reaches 100%, it is counted as one cycle.
Let’s say you have used your iPhone from 100% to 70%, charged it back to 100%, and then discharged it to 30%. Combining the 30% battery usage from the first instance and the 70% battery usage from the second instance gives us one complete power cycle. Now you know what is Battery cycle count, and now let’s see why its important to know the cycle count.
Table of Contents
Why Battery Cycle Count Matters
As the power cycle count increases, the health of the battery decreases. Therefore, it’s important to keep the battery cycle count low. By monitoring the cycle count of your iPhone, you can adopt practices that keep your battery health in good state.
The only way to control the cycle count is by using your iPhone less, which also means you will need to charge your iPhone less often. Now, let’s see the methods you can follow to check the battery cycle count, starting with iPhone 15 models.
How to Check Battery Cycle Count on iPhone 15
As mentioned earlier, Apple has made it easy to check battery cycle or power cycle count on iPhone 15 series. The steps mentioned below are only valid for iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max. So if you have iPhone 14 and older, you can jump to next method.
- Open Settings app on your iPhone.
- Go to General > About.
- Look for battery section and tap Cycle Count.
- It will show your battery cycle count.
If the iPhone 15 has battery replaced, then this option will not appear and you have to follow other methods.
Check Battery Cycle Count on all iPhones
It’s quite easy to check power cycle count on iPhone 15, but can not say the same for other iPhone models. But there are some alternatives you can follow that are not tough. Here is one of the easiest alternatives that I also follow on my iPhone.
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Navigate to Privacy & Security > Analytics & Improvements.
- If the Share iPhone Analytics toggle is enabled jump to next step. If not, enable the toggle and wait for few hours then start again.
- Open Analytics Data in Analytics & Improvements.
- Open the first Analytics file and copy all of its content.
- Go to Notes and paste the content in a new entry. Now in the new note search for Cyclecount.
- There will be a number next to Cyclecount and that is battery cycle count of your iPhone.
Copying the content is easy. When copying the content just keep holding the screen at the button and it will auto scroll to the last content.
With iOS Shortcuts
In case you don’t want to copy content and want to check the battery cycle count regularly you can also install some shortcuts. Some shortcuts to check this parameter are PowerUtil and Battery Cycle.
- After adding the shortcut on your iPhone, go to Analytics & Improvements in Settings.
- Open the latest Analytics file.
- Tap the share icon and then choose the Shortcut you added.
- It may ask for permission, so allow it and it will show the battery cycle count of your iPhone.
View Battery Cycle Count using Third-Party Tool on Windows
There are also some third party tools that let you see the power cycle count of your iPhones. First let’s start with Windows PC. So if you have a Windows PC, you can follow these steps.
- Download 3utools and install it on your PC.
- The tool works with iTunes, so you will also need to install iTunes on your PC.
- Now open the tool and connect your iPhone with PC using lightning or USB C cable. Make sure your iPhone is unlocked.
- Once connected, 3utools will detect your iPhone. If it ask for other things like installing driver, then you can follow the on-screen instructions.
- In the 3utools Info page, you will see Charge times that shows battery cycle count.
Check iPhone Battery Cycle Count using Mac
If you own a Mac, you can follow these steps to check power cycle of your iPhone.
- Download CoconutBattery on your Mac from their official website.
- Connect your iPhone with your Mac using cable. Make sure the iPhone is unlocked.
- Open the Coconutbattery from Downloads folder.
- Switch to the iOS Device Tab. Here it will show your iPhone battery details including Battery Cycle Count.
Tips for Extending iPhone Battery Life
- Keep battery charge between 20-80%
- User iPhone in normal room temperature, avoid high and low temperature
- Don’t use iPhone while its charging
- Use official accessories to charge your iPhone
- Less use of wireless charging
You can check out more tips by heading to this story.
So these are some methods you can follow to check battery health of your iPhone directly within iPhone or from PC. We can expect upcoming iPhone models to have this option inbuilt just like iPhone 15. But can’t say if its going to come to older iPhones. Let us know your go to method for checking power cycle count.