RAM expansion or RAM extension is one of the important features for any smartphone these days. You may find this feature with different names like memory extension, ram plus, ram expansion, and much more. OnePlus has also introduced this feature in its device and it is called RAM expansion. Here you will learn how to enable RAM expansion on OnePlus phone.
The RAM expansion on the OnePlus is the same as the RAM Plus on Samsung phones. It takes some memory from internal storage and uses it as virtual RAM. Since smartphones these days consume a lot of RAM due to large apps and the power-hungry Android ecosystem, this feature is quite useful unless you have 12GB of RAM in your phone.
Since the RAM expansion/RAM extension feature is new, you won’t find it on all OnePlus phones. But it will soon be available on most devices with a major update like OxygenOS 12 or even OxygenOS 11. As of now, the OnePlus RAM expansion is available on the OnePlus 9 series, OnePlus 8 series, OnePlus 9R, OnePlus 9RT, OnePlus 9R, and more phones to get it soon.
Advantages of OnePlus RAM Expansion
The Virtual RAM does not work the same as the actual RAM, but it does the job. You can use it to increase RAM in any phone with less memory. So whenever you feel that your phone’s RAM is running out, then this is the time when you should think about using this feature. You can also enable OnePlus RAM expansion even if you are not running out of RAM.
How to Get OnePlus RAM Expansion (Increase RAM)
Well, this feature depends on OnePlus as to when they are going to include this feature on their devices. It may be available on eligible phones with any update, specifically OOS 12 or ColorOS 12. It is already available on phones running Android 12 based OxygenOS 12 or ColorOS 12. If you don’t know whether this feature is available on your phone or not, you can try the methods to verify it.
How to Enable Memory Expansion on OnePlus Phones
Before we move on to the methods, you need to make sure that you have enough internal storage left in your phone. When it is less than required, you will see the message ‘Insufficient storage space, Unable to turn on this feature.’ So, in that case, you need to free some space. Once you have enough free space, follow the steps mentioned below to increase RAM on your OnePlus phone.
- Free up space on your phone by at least 10GB.
- Open the Settings on your OnePlus phone.
- Now go to About Device and tap on the RAM section.
- There you will find the RAM Expansion toggle, tap on the toggle to enable it.
- Once you enable RAM Expansion you can set the amount of extra RAM you want to assign.
- Now restart your phone and then you can enjoy the benefits of RAM Expansion on your OnePlus phone.
It is possible that the RAM Expansion option could be at another place. So if you didn’t find the RAM Expansion in About Phone, follow the next method.
- Open the Settings app on your phone and go to About Device.
- Now tap on Version and you will see Build Number. You can also search for Build Number directly in Settings.
- Tap 7-8 times on the build number to enable Developer Options.
- Go back to Settings and then head to System settings > Developer Option.
- Open the Memory option under Developer Options and there you will find the RAM Expansion option.
- Enable it and set the extra RAM limit as per your preference. Reboot your phone and enjoy.
So these are the two methods you can follow to expand RAM on OnePlus phones. You can also look for RAM Expansion by searching it directly in Settings. If you can’t find RAM Expansion after following both methods and searching, then the RAM Expansion feature is not present on your phone. And you have to wait for OnePlus to push this feature via update.
The limit of RAM you can extend with the RAM Expansion feature depends on the device and the storage available on your phone. If you are a OnePlus user, and the RAM Expansion is present on your phone let us know what is the maximum amount of RAM allowed to increase on your phone.