Nothing Phone 1 was one of the most hyped phones of last year. The phone is amazing in some aspects while average in other aspects. Last year, the Carl Pei-backed company announced that it will take its time rolling out the Android 13 update for the Nothing Phone 1.
In the last part of November 2022, the company announced Android 13 based Nothing OS 1.5 closed beta program for the device. And in December, Nothing rolled out the Android 13 open beta to the first batch of users.
And this year the company expanded the open beta to a second batch. And now the wait is about to end as the update is about to roll out. This comes from a post shared on Reddit. A Reddit user u/rhys789App13 shared an image of mail purportedly from a member of Nothing. Well, the email and other parts are hidden but the signature included in the email is from Nothing customer support.
Here’s what the email says;
Thank you for reaching out to us.
We understand that you would like to know when the Nothing OS 1.5 will be available in the UK.
The official rollout of the Nothing OS 1.5 should start at the end of next week.
Your opinion about the service we have just provided to you is very important to us! Please do not forget to answer to our survey that you will receive via email.
If you have any question, please let us know.
Cassandro Nothing Customer Support
As per the email from customer support, the Nothing OS 1.5/Android 13 is coming to Nothing Phone 1 from next week. Yes, the wait will be finally over. As per the beta program, Android 13 on Nothing Phone 1 brings a bunch of improvements and from early impressions, it feels smooth too. Here’s the official changelog.
- Up to 50% increase in app loading speed.
- More Material You. More colour schemes available for matching third party apps to wallpaper.
- Multi-language support that allows different languages for different apps.
- Privacy upgrades. Including:
- Photo picker. Choose which images you want to share with each app.
- Notification permissions. Control which apps can send you notifications.
- Media permissions. Group the types of media you want to share e.g., photos and videos, music and audio, files.
- New QR code scanner in Quick Settings.
- Clipboard preview: copied text appears on clipboard in the bottom corner of the screen. So you can directly edit the text before pasting.
- New look for Media Control.
- Foreground services. Close active background apps directly from the notification centre to save battery.
- Live caption: detects speech on your device and automatically generates captions.
- Increased background memory. Reducing the wait for frequently used apps to load.
- New self-repair feature that keeps Phone (1) running like it’s new. By clearing unused cache and expired system dumps.
- Improved Quick Settings. Featuring new network and Bluetooth device pop-ups.
- New UI for volume control. Easily adjust individual volume sliders without unlocking the screen (e.g. music vs alarm).
- Improved Game Mode. New UI for light notifications and added Google Game Dashboard. Dashboard supports screenshots, screen recording, FPS display, and Do Not Disturb.
Once the update begins to roll out, we will share it with you. In case you have anything to share feel free to use the comment section.