Samsung’s latest flagship series, the Galaxy S24 is now available with big improvements. If you are into custom development and looking to root your Galaxy S24 Ultra, this guide is for you. Here I will share how to unlock bootloader and root Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra. This guide will also work for Galaxy S24 and Galaxy S24 Plus.
Rooting is only recommended if you know its risks and benefits. This is because you need to know whether the benefits are worth your time and the features you will lose. For example, you won’t get over-the-air updates and you’ll need to manually install updates after root, but you will get plenty of mods and customization features.
The Galaxy S24 Ultra is equipped with top-class hardware and by default, but there may be some limitations. Root access allows users to take full advantage of the hardware.
To root Galaxy S24 Ultra, you first need to unlock the bootloader of your phone. Unlocking the bootloader can be difficult and is also restricted in some regions and models. Before we move on to the steps, here are the main points you should know before unlocking the bootloader and rooting your phone.
- The warranty will void (re-locking bootloader won’t help)
- No OTA updates
- It will trip Knox
- Multiple stock apps like Samsung Pay and Samsung Health may not work (including payment apps)
- Unlocking the bootloader will wipe all the data
- This method will work for other Galaxy S24 phones too (you just need to use correct firmware or patch file)
Note: There are some workarounds that can help you get some apps working again. But not every feature and apps will work.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Galaxy S24 Ultra
- First make sure to take backup of your phone.
- Open Settings on your Phone. Scroll down to the last and go to About Phone > Software Information.
- Look for Build Number and tap it 7-8 times and you will see a message ‘You are now a developer’.
- Now go back to the Settings page and you will find Developer Options at the bottom. Open it.
- Here enable the toggle for OEM Unlocking. Select OK if it asks for confirmation.
- Once done, connect your phone to your PC via a USB cable, and hit restart.
- When the device turns off, immediately press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down buttons together. Release both buttons when you see Warning screen.
- Now press the Volume Up button and the device will boot into Download Mode.
- In Download Mode, you will see an option for Unlock Bootloader, long press Volume Up button and you will see a confirmation.
- Press the Volume Up once again to confirm bootloader unlocking. This will erase your data.
Your phone will boot back into the system after unlocking the bootloader. Now that your bootloader is unlocked, you can proceed with rooting steps.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
One of the popular methods to root an Android phone is flashing a patched image. All thanks to Magisk. For this, you will need a patched file. I will share the steps to patch a file, but if you have SM-S928B and running on firmware version S928BXXU1AWM9, then you can use a patch file shared by dr.ketan, a known developer.
For SM-S928B / S928BXXU1AWM9: Patched File
- Magisk App
- Odin flash tool
- Firmware (Same build as installed on your phone)
- If you have patched file, you can jump to flashing part
Patch File using Magisk
- First, extract the Galaxy S24 firmware that you downloaded on your computer and check for the AP file (file starting with AP). Copy the AP file to your phone.
- Next, install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open Magisk on your phone and click on the Install button.
- Now choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ on the next screen.
- Browse and select the AP file and wait for the patching process. It will take a few seconds to patch the file and the output will be saved in the download folder as magisk_patched.tar.
Flash Patched File
- Copy the patched tar file to your PC. And then Boot your Galaxy S24 into download mode using the steps given above.
- Open the Odin Flash Tool on your PC. On the right side of the tool, load the magisk patched file in AP.
- After all this, click on the Start button (considering your phone is connected to PC). It will start flashing the patched Magisk file to your phone.
- After flashing, reboot your phone into Recovery Mode and reset your phone.
- Once done, reboot into the system and install the Magisk app.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Samsung Galaxy S24 along with a guide to unlock bootloader of Galaxy S24. And if you have any queries let us know in the comment section below.