So, you’ve finally got that brand new PS5 and started playing your PS4 games on it, only to realize that your progress and save files haven’t transferred over. Even though you’ve signed in to the new console with the account from the PS4 you don’t see those files and you either panic around or just decide to start over. Here is a guide on how to transfer PS4 data to PS5.
For some odd reason even when you’ve got PlayStation Plus and have Cloud Save enabled, the saves do not transfer from the PS4 to the PS5 and this can get a bit annoying. It gets a bit irritating if you even decided to sell the PS4 to make room for the new PS5. Thankfully, there are a few methods that you can use to transfer the data from PS4 to PS5, provided you have both the consoles with you or at least save files from your PS4.
How to Transfer Save Data from PS4 to PS5
PlayStation 5 supports most of the PlayStation games but to get the previous data you need to use your old id that contains data. But in some cases, it fails to get the data automatically, and then you need to manually transfer data to enjoy your saved game. It is possible with few methods which we are going to share with you in this guide. So let’s start with the requirements.
You May Also Like | Is the PS5 backward compatible: Can you Play PS4 Games on PS5?
What you’ll need
- PS4 (or latest Save data from PS4)
- HDMI cable and Monitor
- External Storage Drive
Transfer data from PS4 to PS5 through Wi-Fi
In this method, you can use the WiFi to transfer the save files on PS5 to continue your games where you left them on PS4. For this method, you should have the PS4 with you.
- Turn on the PS4 and the PS5 and connect both to the same WiFi network.
- Also, make sure that both the systems have been updated to the latest versions.
- On the PlayStation 5 head over to Settings.
- Under Settings, head over to System > System Software > Data Transfer.
- The PS5 will now look for the PS4, make sure that both the consoles are on the same WiFi Network.
- When the PS5 detects the PS4, it will ask you to press the power button for a second till you hear a beep.
- Now, the PS4 will restart itself and the transfer process will begin.
- You will get to choose what games you wish to transfer. Select the ones that you want to transfer from PS4 to PS5 and click Next.
- A Ready to Transfer screen will now appear. Simply click on Start Transfer to begin the process.
- The transfer process can take time, depending on file size as well as your current storage space left on the PS5.
- During the transfer process, the PS4 might restart a few times. This is normal.
- Once the transfer has been completed, the PS5 will restart and you will now be able to access all the files and save data.
Transfer Save data from PS4 to PS5 via Cloud Saves
You can perform this method provided you have got a PlayStation Plus account which includes the ability to make use of Cloud Saves. This will also work if you have already uploaded save data to the cloud and don’t have the PS4 now with you.
- On your PS4, head over to Settings.
- Under Settings, head over to Storage > System Storage > Save data.
- Do this to check and if the desired save files are available and stored on your PS4.
- Now, head over back to the Settings page.
- Under Settings, select Application Saved data management > Saved data in System Storage. and finally select Upload to Online Storage.
- Now, select whatever games and their save files you wish to upload and then click on the Upload button.
- With all the files uploaded onto the cloud storage, head over to your PS5.
- Make sure that you have signed into the PS5 with the same account that you have used to back up the files from your PS4.
- Now open Settings page on the PS5.
- Go to Saved Data and Game/App Settings, Saved Data (PS4) and finally Cloud Storage.
- Here you will see all the game files and the amount of storage that they will be taking up.
- Select whatever save files you wish to download and select the Download to Console Storage option.
- When the files have been downloaded you will be to access all the game save data from the PS4 right onto your PS5.
And this is how you make use of the Cloud Storage on your PlayStation consoles to transfer PS4 data to PS5.
Transfer Save Files from PS4 to PS5 via USB Storage Device
For any reason whatsoever if you don’t have good enough internet and don’t have a PlayStation Plus subscription, then, the only way to transfer those game saves and files is by making use of a USB Storage Device. So, check the mentioned steps to transfer PS4 data to PS5.
- For this method your will need an external USB storage drive. It could be a high-capacity flash drive or even an external hard disk.
- Plug the external storage drive into the PS4 and open up the Settings page.
- Under Settings, select Application Saved data management > Saved data in System Storage > Copy to USB Storage Device.
- Select the game that you wish to play on the PS5 and hit Copy.
- Now, plug in the USB storage drive into the PS5.
- Open the Settings page.
- Go to Saved Data and Game/App Settings > Saved Data (PS4) and select the USB Drive option.
- Now, click on the Copy to Console Storage button.
- Once the files have been copied, you can unplug the storage drive and access the game files, and save files right away on your PS5.
And, this is how you can transfer save data from PS4 to PS5 via an external USB storage drive.
These are the three methods that you can use to transfer PS4 data to PS5. We hope this guide has helped you in transferring your favorite game files onto your shiny new PS5. Let us know in the comment section in case of any queries.