Sideloading apps on Android-powered devices bring additional functions to the smart devices (including smartphones, TVs, and tablets). And you can follow same on your smart TV to enable hidden-features like taking screenshots, app shortcuts, remapping buttons, etc. If you’ve ever wanted to take a screenshot on your Android TV, then the steps to capture screenshots are not as easy as a typical Android smartphone. But sideloading a third-party app let users capture screenshot in a single tap. In this article, I will tell you How to take screenshot on Android TV.
The ability to take screenshots are enabled by default on the Smart Android TVs. But we can’t take screenshots with the typical Android TV remote controller. Fortunately, the third-party button remapping apps allow us to enable this functionality.
Google Play Store has a number of button remapping apps, but not every app is as useful as the Button Mapper by flar2. Yes, the app help users remapping keys of Android TV remote control for other functions as well.
There are some Android TVs, like the Nvidia Shield TV, which has a built-in tool for screen recording and screenshots. However, a big chunk of smart TVs doesn’t come with these such tools.
So, if you want to take a screenshot on your Android TV, then you can sideload a button Mapper app on your smart TV. Apparently, the app is available freely (with in-app purchases) on the Google Play Store. One of the best things about the app is, it doesn’t require Root access or ADB command for most actions. And the app weighs only 5.4MB of size for downloading.
So, let’s dive right in to the steps.
Take Screenshots on Android TV (by remapping keys)
If you are watching your favorite show or movie and want to take a screenshot of an amazing scene, then, you can follow the below steps. I’m testing this application on Google-powered Android 10 TV. Luckily, it also works on the older televisions as well. So, you can follow these steps and start capturing screenshots on your Android TV.
Enable Button Mapper Accessibility Service:
- At first, you need to Download Button Mapper app on your Android TV.
- To get it, you can simply head over to the Google Play Store, then move to the search icon and press Ok button from your Android TV Remote Control.
- Now type Button Mapper in the search box, then tap on the Button Mapper app icon from search results.
- Then, press Install button, it will take a few seconds for sideloading the app on your smart TV.
- When finished, press open button, to open Button Mapper.
- Launching the app for first time will show you a pop up to enable Accessibility services for Button Mapper app, tapping Ok button will open Settings app.
- In Settings app, head over to the Device Preferences.
- Then scroll down, and tap on Accessibility option.
- From services section in Accessibility, tap on Button Mapper service.
- Now enable the Button Mapper service, by turning the toggle-On.
- That’s it.
Mapping a button to capture Screenshots:
- Now open the Button Mapper app. You can long-press the home button from your Android TV Remote Controller to see all apps.
- After opening the app, it will show you a bunch of your Android TV Remote Control’s buttons which you can remap for different functions.
- In this case, I remap my home button to take screenshots. So, for this, tap on Home Button option.
- Now enable the toggle-on for customize option.
- You can remap key for actions such as Single Tap, Double Tap, and Long Press.
- I’m using Double Tap function for screenshots, if you’re using the same then, press Double Tap.
- Now select Screenshot option from Actions, you need to scroll down a bit for finding Screenshot option.
- That’s it.
Once done, you can open your favorite app and double tap the home button to take a screenshot on your Android TV. You can even take screenshots of Settings app and other default apps available on your smart TV.
Most Android TVs come with compact remote controls with selected useful buttons. But still there are some venders which provides remotes with a bunch of Keys.
If your Android TV Remote Control has number keys, then you can also map these keys for actions like screenshots.
For this, simply head over to the Button Mapper app, then tap on Add Buttons option.
Again, tap on Add button option and press 0 key from your Remote Control.
Now remap the key accordingly, this time, I’m using long press option. Once done, select Screenshot as an action. That’s it.
Although, following afore-mentioned steps allow users to take screenshots in most apps (if it allows). But there are some restricted apps like Disney+ Hotstar, Chrome’s Incognito Mode, and more, which doesn’t allow people taking screenshots. In this case, you might see a blank screenshot.
Accessing Screenshots on Android TV
After taking a screenshot on Android TV, you need a file manager app to access it. You can download any file manager app from the Google Play Store and access the screenshots which you’ve captured on your TV. I’m using the File Commander, you can get it from the Google Play Store.
You May Also Like – How to Transfer Files from Smartphone to Android TV
That’s all about how to take screenshot on Android TV. Still have any query? Then, leave it in the comment section. Also, share this article with your friends.
More Related Articles: