Twitter has been making news rounds for a while. Sure, they’ve got a new CEO but, they have also got the weird limitations that have been pushed to Twitter users of all kinds – the ones that pay for Twitter Blue and the pens that don’t. In the past, we have seen a good number of Twitter’s alternative platforms being created. While they do not have as much popularity and userbase when compared to Twitter, Meta out of all companies has decided its time to create a platform that could hope to rival Twitter right away
The new platform that has been released by Meta is called Threads, an app from Instagram. Yes, that is the full name of the app when you search for it on your device’s app store. Anyways, if you’re interested in what this new platform is and also how you can sign in to the new platform, you’ve come to the right place.
What is Threads, an Instagram app?
Threads is nothing but an open platform that is here to compete with Twitter. So what can you do? You can do everything possible on Twitter. You can easily share text updates, like Threads, comment on them as well as re-share your and other people’s threads. You do get an option to choose between having a public or a private account. Also, you can easily post photos and videos on Threads. The videos are limited to 5 minutes, which should be good enough for a platform like Threads.
When it comes to posting text or Threads, your posts can be 500 characters long, which is more than enough for you if you plan on sharing text updates. Because this is an Instagram app you do not have to worry about signing up for a new account. You can simply use your existing Instagram account and you are good to go. Best of all, you can easily find and add your followers from Instagram right away on threads so, you don’t have to worry about it.
As of writing, the Threads app has over 5 million users. This is expected to grow within the next couple of days. If you already have a verified account on Instagram, your Threads account will also display the verified badge right away. This makes it easy for you to follow all verified accounts of famous personalities on the platform without thinking twice. Now that we have told you what the platform is, now let’s take a look at how you can join the platform easily. And yes, you do not need to have any invite codes to join Threads. You can join up right away.
How to Join Threads on Instagram [Make an Account on Threads]
We have always seen that whenever there is a new platform, everyone wants to sign up for it. It’s a new platform and everyone wants to see, test it out, and even talk about it with other people out there. So, we are now going to show you how you can join threads easily without any fuss. Let’s get started.
- First off, you will have to download the Threads app. The app is now live and available globally on the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. Once the app has been downloaded, launch the app.
- You will see your Instagram account displayed at the bottom of the app. This will be the case only if you have the Instagram app installed on your device.
- Once you tap on your Instagram profile name,
- On the next screen, you can choose to change your name, add a bio as well as any link to your other social profiles or websites. Or, you can simply choose to import the same from Instagram itself.
- On the next screen, you can choose whether you want to have a Private or a Public Threads account.
- Finally, you get to see the screen that shows you how Threads works, what it is about, and also what data the Threads app collects.
- Once you have done all of this, you cannot use the Threads app right away. You can choose to follow your friends from Instagram on threads or simply choose to do it at a later date.
Threads App – Interface Design
Now, let’s take a look at what the Threads app looks like. The layout is quite similar to the Instagram app. You will be able to use the app within a few seconds of figuring out what is where. Yes, the app has the same pull-down to refresh the feed similar to Twitter as well as Instagram, Facebook, and other platforms. At the bottom of the app, you will see different icons. Let’s take a look at what each icon represents.
- The Home icon is your news feed page of the Threads app. Here is where you will see all Threads from popular accounts as wella s from people that you follow.
- The second icon is the Search icon. You can tap on this to search for other accounts on the Threads app.
- The third icon is the New Thread app. Tapping on this will let you post a new thread to the platform right away.
- The Heart icon is your Activity page. This page shows you who has followed you, who has liked your posts, notifications from replies to your comment or threads, post mentions, and also a dedicated verified tab.
- Finally, the last icon is the profile icon. Here you can see your threads, edit your profile and see your replies right away.
Additional Points To Note
Here are some key points you will have to keep in mind when you use the Threads app.
- As of now, there is no option to edit your Threads. So spelling mistakes and typos cannot be changed unless you delete your Thread.
- You can easily hide the number of likes on your Thread.
- The theme of the app will change based on your device’s system system-wide theme. There is no in-app toggle to switch between light and dark mode.
- You can easily share posts from Threads by tapping on the Share button. There is also a quick share option to share the post on Twitter.
- The Threads icon animates when it is refreshing your homepage
- You cannot delete your Threads account. Doing so will make you delete your Instagram account. In this case, it’s best to simply uninstall the app if you do not plan to use the Threads platform.
This concludes everything you need to know about the Threads app as well as how you can join the platform. With these things in mind, will you be joining the new platform or simply staying put on Twitter? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below. Also, give us a follow on Threads @ytechb.