CalyxOS is a privacy oriented OS for smartphones that is making headlines. It is here to take on Android by offering a safe and secure system. Yes, the new OS is all about minimizing tracking, surveillance, etc. So if you don’t want Google or others to track your location and data, then CalyxOS is the OS you can go for. And if you decide to try CalyxOS, you can use this guide. Here you will know how to install CalyxOS on Pixel and other Android phones.
If you worry that you will lose the Android OS, then you shouldn’t. The CalyxOS is also based on Android but excluding Google apps and other apps that can access user data. The OS comes with alternatives that are secure and keeps the data private. It is like any other Android based ROMs but without google apps or we can say de-googled Android.
Here are some important features of CalyxOS:
- Datura Firewall for Secure browsing
- Inbuilt Calyx VPN
- Regular automatic security updates
- Timer to turn off Bluetooth and WiFi when not in use
- Automatic app backup options with client side encryption
- Private dialer for encrypted calls
- Download android apps from Aurora Store
- And lot more
The CalyxOS is available as a ROM for some Android phones. It is aimed at users who don’t want to use Google services like Maps, PlayStore, Gmail, Google Chrome, and more. But as of now, the OS is available for only select devices. And so if you want to install CalyxOS, make sure to check the list of supported phones.
CalyxOS Supported Phones
- Pixel 2
- Pixel 2 XL
- Pixel 3
- Pixel 3 XL
- Pixel 3a
- Pixel 3a XL
- Pixel 4
- Pixel 4 XL
- Pixel 4a
- Pixel 4a 5G
- Xiaomi Mi A2
It is no surprise that most of the Pixel phones are on the list. As you know Pixel phones are from Google and everything you will find in Pixel is somehow connected to Google. And so if you don’t like that and want to switch to a more secure platform, luckily you can install CalyxOS. Mi A2 is an Android One phone which also comes with most of the Google Services.
If your phone is on the list, you can easily get the CalyxOS on your phone. Let’s start with the requirements.
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Download Calyx flasher for Windows, Mac, or Linux
- Download the CalyxOS for your Device from here
- Install Google USB Driver (for Windows)
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver
How to Install CalyxOS
Once you have all the files and required Android phone, follow the guide to install CalyxOS on your Android phone.
- Copy the downloaded CalyxOS image and the Calyx flasher in the same folder.
- Connect your phone to PC using a USB cable. Good quality USB is recommended.
- Run the device flasher tool that you downloaded earlier. Make sure the Calyx Image and device flasher are located in the same location.
- Once you open the flasher, it will show some steps in Yellow. Follow all the steps that are in yellow.
- In case if the OEM unlocking is turned off and greyed out then it will not allow installing the CalyxOS.
- When you enable USB Debugging, you will get a popup on your device, make sure to select Always allow on this computer.
- Now the flasher will proceed further and again it will show some steps in Yellow. So all you have to do is follow every step in yellow.
- That’s it, after unlocking the bootloader and turning off OEM unlocking you are all set to experience de-googled Android.
You can now enjoy all the CalyxOS features without worrying about tracking and surveillance. This is like any other ROM but more secure and it works even when the bootloader is locked.
Let us know your thoughts on the CalyxOS and its performance. You can comment down your queries in the comment box.