Got yourself a pair of those fancy Apple AirPods? Now, we all know how small and at the same time important they are. While it’s usually in your pockets or backpack, there can be times when you might know where the AirPods are. It gets even worse if your Apple AirPods are dead. Dead in the senses they have run out of battery juice. So, how to track Apple AirPods that are dead? We’ve got some methods that we think you need to try to retrieve your dead or offline Apple AirPods.
How to Find Dead AirPods
When your Apple AirPods are online or connected to your Bluetooth devices such as your iPhone, iPod, iPad, or macOS device, it becomes very easy to find thanks to the audible alert feature that it has. However, things can be different when it comes to searching for offline or dead Apple AirPods. Let’s get started.
Tip: If you haven’t lost your AirPods and reading this as a precaution, you must enable the Find My and Find My Network option on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Also, check how not to lose your AirPods mentioned at the last.
Use Find My To See AirPods Last Location
One of the great features of the Apple AirPods is that it can show its current or last location on the map when you search for it using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod. But, if your Apple AirPods are dead or offline, Find My will be able to show the last known location of the AirPods. This should help you look for them easily. Here are the steps to see the last known location of your AirPods.
Note: Find My feature must be enabled before you lost your AirPods.
- Open the Find My app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Now, tap on the Devices tab.
- Tap on your Apple AirPods icon. Below them, you will see either their last known location or simply a No Location tag under them.
- In most cases, the last location will be displayed.
- With that information, you can go around that location and look around to hope that you find your AirPods safe.
Find Dead AirPods using Find My Network
One other way to determine where your AirPods have gotten lost is by making use of the Find My Network option. Do note that with this you will only be able to find the AirPods 3rd Gen AirPods Pro (All Gen), and AirPods Max. Here are the steps (Find My Network must be enabled before you have lost your AirPods).
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone, iPod, or iPad.
- Tap on your avatar and then select the Find My option.
- Tap on the first Find My option and switch the toggle on. This is when you want to find your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
- Next, you need to enable the Find My Network and Send Last Location options.
- In this way, you can find your AirPods even when you aren’t connected to the internet.
- If someone finds your AirPods and charges it, or your AirPods get online by any means, you will receive the notification on your device and Last Known location will be updated.
Enable Lost Mode For Your Apple AirPods
Apple makes sure to think of everything when releasing its products. In case you ever lose something, you can easily enable a Lost Mode on such devices. When in Lost Mode, your devices will display a name and contact number in case someone finds it so that they can easily return it to you. Do note that only other iPhone, iPad, or iPod users will be able to see devices that are in lost mode near them.
- Launch the Find My app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
- Tap on the Devices tab and select your Apple AirPods. (The AirPods 3rd Gen, AirPods Pro (All Gen), and AirPods Max will be able to make use of this feature).
- Scroll down till you see the Mark As Lost option. Tap on it to activate the Lost mode feature.
- You can later fill in any information that you want the device to show to other Apple users.
Go Back To The Last Place You Were Using The AirPods
One last way to search for your AirPods is to trace your steps back to the last location and look around to see if you can find your Apple AirPods. You can use the Find option (available for some latest AirPods) in Find My to track your AirPods if it’s nearby. If you do find it then well and good, or else just hope that someone finds it and returns it to you. The worst-case scenario is that someone else might have taken away your Apple AirPods and you have no option other than getting yourself a new pair of AirPods.
How To Not Lose Your AirPods
There are two easy ways that you can follow so that you don’t lose or forget your AirPods that easily. Follow these steps so that you never lose your precious AirPods again.
Set Up an Alert When You Leave AirPods Behind
This method will work only if you have an iPhone 12 or newer devices. Known as separation alerts, your iPhone will be able to alert you as and when you leave your AirPods behind. Here are the steps to enable it.
- Launch the Find My app on your iPhone 12 and newer
- Select the Devices tab and choose your Apple AirPods.
- Under the Notifications option, tap on the toggle where it says notify When Left behind.
- This is how you can get an alert when you leave the room without taking your Apple AirPods.
Attach An Apple AirTag to your AirPods Case
AirTags are great devices that help you search for anything that you place the AirTags on. It relies on other iPhones and Apple devices to broadcast its actual live location. The Apple AirTags will perfectly help you find your lost AirPods whether they are online or offline. This feature will work best on the iPhone 13 and newer models. Make sure to AirTag your Apple AirPods so you never have to worry about hunting or them all around when you can easily track those AirTags.
This concludes our guide on how to find your dead Apple AirPods. We have also listed ways that will help you not forget to leave your AirPods behind as well as the option of adding the AirTags to your AirPods case so that you don’t have to run around the world to track or hunt your lost AirPods down. If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below. Also, share your experience if you have lost and later found your Apple AirPods.