The wait is finally over, Nothing Phone 2 owners can upgrade their device to the anticipated Android 14 based Nothing OS 2.5 through open beta program. The new software is rolling out with a whole bunch of new features and changes.
Nothing has been testing the Android 14 on the Phone (1) for the past five months, the company has released three beta builds. Now the company has begun testing the new software on the Phone (2). If you own the Nothing Phone 2 and want to try out the Nothing OS 2.5 open beta, then you can opt for the beta program.
Nothing says, your smartphone needs to be running on Nothing OS 2.0.3 version number. Another thing to keep in mind is, to make sure you have 6-8GB of free space on your device. The company also instructed users to take a backup of important data before installing the beta update.
Disclaimer: Since this is a Beta version, there’s a very small chance the test software may interfere with your data and require a factory reset. In this instance, your data will be lost. We strongly recommend backing up all your data before accessing the software.
Speaking of the new changes, the new upgrade brings an all-new user interface for the Screenshot editor, new gesture controls, a new wallpaper selector with more options, added monochrome color theme to the basic color section, updated quick settings layout, more lock screen shortcuts, and more.
Here’s the complete list of changes coming with Nothing OS 2.5 and Android 14 to Nothing Phone 2.
- Nothing OS 2.5
- Updated the widgets library interface so Nothing widgets appear more clearly.
- New photos widget, allowing you to display your favourite photos on both your Home Screen and Lock Screen.
- New screenshot editor and menu, allowing for more advanced editing features and quick deletions.
- Updated design of back gesture to be more in line with Nothing’s style.
- Added the option to hide app icons on the Home Screen and app drawer. Swipe right in the app drawer to reveal hidden app icons.
- Capture screenshots quickly with a three-finger swipe.
- Customise the double-press power button to quickly access a chosen feature.
- Redesigned a joint Home Screen and Lock Screen customisation page for a more comprehensive view of options.
- Introduced the glass filter to make your favourite wallpapers extra unique.
- New solid colour wallpapers for a cleaner Home Screen appearance.
- Android 14
- Added a monochrome colour theme in the basic colour section.
- New back gesture while interacting with apps
- Updated Quick Settings layout and added Nothing earbuds icons.
- More Lock Screen shortcut options including do not disturb, mute, QR code scanner and video camera.
- Made it possible to set ringtone and notification sound volumes separately, with an updated volume control interface.
- Added regional settings so you can customise your unit and number preferences
If you want to upgrade your Nothing Phone 2 to Android 14, then you need to sideload an APK file on your phone, shared by Nothing. Here’s the link to the APK file, download this APK.
Make sure your phone is running on Nothing OS 2.0.3
Once you have the APK installed on your smartphone, you can go to the Settings > System > Update to Beta Version and check for new updates. Once you see the open beta 1 follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
You can follow the same steps for the roll-back process. If you want to know more about it, then you can check the Nothing’s latest blog post.