To connect phone with PC via USB for file transfer then you need to install MTP USB Device Driver on windows. If you are facing MTP USB Device failed error it is because the MTP USB Device driver is not properly installed on Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7. MTP USB Device means an Android phone which can be connected to PC via USB for media transfer. MTP or Media Transfer Protocol is responsible for any type of file transfer by accessing phone storage files through a computer. When you connect your phone for the first time on a Windows PC using USB you need to tap MTP option on the USB preference page. Other than MTP option you will see PTP, only charging and some other options in the USB preference page. Also Read: How to Solve No MTP Option on Android After selecting the MTP option in the phone, the computer will search for MTP devices and then it will show the result. If MTP Device Driver is installed on your PC then it will show a successfully connected message. On the other side if MTP USB Device Driver is not installed then it will show an error ‘MTP USB Device Failed‘. It means you won’t be able to access phone storage from pc, hence you cannot transfer files. So here I will share how to fix MTP USB Device Failed or Device driver software was not successfully installed.After this, you will see your phone on My PC section. If the above method doesn’t work for any user follow this one instead.
Fix MTP USB Device Failed on WindowsIf you are getting MTP USB Device failed error then you can follow the methods mentioned below to fix this error. This is a common error and can be easily solved with a few effective ways. Just make sure to follow the steps exactly as mentioned.
1. Check for Hardware ProblemThe basic reason for MTP USB Device failed could be the hardware problem such as USB may be defective, USB port may be damaged. Even sometimes using local USB cable can also be the main reason for this error. So using the original cable that came with the Android phone itself may solve the issue. Also, check the ports on both the ends and make sure they are working fine. To find the defective port on PC, insert the cable on another port. You can check it using another cable and phone which you think is not defective. Don’t forget to check the USB support type like sometimes a few cables only supports USB 3.0 and you may be using it on USB 2.0. This can also be one of the reason. So check out for hardware issues from your side. If the MTP USB Device failed error still appear then follow the other next methods.
2. Update MTP USB Device DriverNext thing to check to fix ‘MTP USB Device failed‘ is the MTP USB Device Driver on Windows 10/8/7. From Android Oreo or Pie onwards the USB preference does not provide MTP option. Instead of MTP option, you will see File transfer option which is same as MTP. This minimizes the error and so only users using Android Oreo or lower version may see this error. Now you must be thinking how to update MTP USB Device Driver on Windows. To know how to update the MTP driver on Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7 follow the steps given below.
Note: This is the most effective method to fix this error. I have tried it many times and it works every time.
- Connect your phone with PC via USB.
- Open Device Manager ( Tap on windows icon on the bottom left and type device manager it will show device manager).
- The under Portable Devices right-click on MTP which will be showing a yellow mark. If you don’t see a portable section then look for Other Devices > Unknown device.
- Select Update Driver Software.
- Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
- Then click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Now select MTP USB Device and click Next.
- Wait for the Installation process and then it will show a successful message.
- Follow the same procedure till 6 from the above list.
- Select MTP USB Device and then click on Have Disk.
- Click on Browse and locate wpdmtp.inf (C:\Windows\INF).
- After locating click on Open and then click on OK in Install from disk tab.
- Again select MTP USB Device and click Next.
- Wait for installation and then you can use your phone as MTP.
3. Change Administrator PermissionIf the Administrator permission is not provided then some of the function on the computer will be limited. The MTP USB Device failed error can be solved by changing administrator permission in some cases. It worth giving a try to this method.
- Run CMD as an administrator (Click on Windows icon and type CMD).
- Make sure that the location in CMD is C:\Windows\system32.
- Now type the following command and press enter.
net localgroup Administrators local service /addNow you can check its working or not. This method is not much effective but can work in some cases.