To connect phone with PC via USB for file transfer then you need to install MTP USB Device Driver on windows. If you are facing MTP USB Device failed error it is because the MTP USB Device driver is not properly installed on Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7.
MTP USB Device means an Android phone which can be connected to PC via USB for media transfer. MTP or Media Transfer Protocol is responsible for any type of file transfer by accessing phone storage files through computer. When you connect your phone for the first time on a Windows PC using USB you need to tap MTP option on USB preference page. Other than MTP option you will see PTP, only charging and some other options in usb preference page.
Also Read: How to Solve No MTP Option on Android
After selecting MTP option in phone, the computer will search for MTP devices and then it will show result. If MTP Device Driver is installed on your PC then it will show successfully connected message. On the other side if MTP USB Device Driver is not installed the it will show an error ‘MTP USB Device Failed‘. It means you won’t be able to access phone storage from pc, hence you cannot transfer files. So here i will share how to fix MTP USB Device Failed or Device driver software was not successfully installed.
Fix MTP USB Device Failed on Windows
If you are getting MTP USB Device failed error then you can follow the methods mentioned below to fix this error. This is a common error and can be easily solved with few effective ways. Just make sure to follow the steps exactly as mentioned.
1. Check for Hardware Problem
The basic reason for MTP USB Device failed could be the hardware problem such as USB may be defective, USB port may be damaged. Even sometimes using local USB cable can also be the main reason of this error. So using the original cable that came with the Android phone itself may solve the issue.
Also check the ports on both the ends and make sure they are working fine. To find the defective port on PC insert the cable on another port. You can check it using another cable and phone which you think is not defective.
Don’t forget to check the USB support type like sometimes few cable only supports USB 3.0 and you may have using it on USB 2.0. This can also be one of the reason. So check out for hardware issues from your side. If the MTP USB Device failed error still appear then follow the other next methods.
2. Update MTP USB Device Driver
Next thing to check to fix ‘MTP USB Device failed‘ is the MTP USB Device Driver on Windows 10/8/7. From Android Oreo or Pie onwards the USB preference does not provide MTP option. Instead of MTP option you will see File transfer option which is same as MTP. This minimizes the error and so only users using Android Oreo or lower version may see this error.
Now you must be thinking how to update MTP USB Device Driver on Windows. To know how to update the MTP driver on Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7 follow the steps given below.
Note: This is the most effective method to fix this error. I have tried it many times and it works every time.
- Connect your phone with PC via USB.
- Open Device Manager ( Tap on windows icon on bottom left and type device manager it will show device manager).
- The under Portable Devices right-click on MTP which will be showing yellow mark. If you don’t see portable section then look for Other Devices > Unknown device.
- Select Update Driver Software.
- Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
- Then click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Now select MTP USB Device and click Next.
- Wait for the Installation process and the it will show successful message.
After this you will see your phone on My PC section.
If the above method doesn’t work for any user follow this one instead.
- Follow the same procedure till 6 from the above list.
- Select MTP USB Device and the click on Have Disk.
- Click on Browse and locate wpdmtp.inf (C:\Windows\INF).
- After locating click on Open and the click on OK in Install from disk tab.
- Again select MTP USB Device and click Next.
- Wait for installation and then you can use your phone as MTP.
3. Change Administrator Permission
If the Administrator permission is provided then some of the function on the computer will be limited. The MTP USB Device failed error can be solved by changing administrator permission in some cases. It worth giving a try to this method.
- Run CMD as an administrator (Click on Windows icon and type CMD).
- Make sure that the location in CMD is C:\Windows\system32.
- Now type the following command and press enter.
net localgroup Administrators local service /add
Now you can check its working or not. This method is not much effective but can work in some cases.
So these were few methods to fix the error ‘MTP USB Device‘ failed. From my side i will suggest to use the second method as it works most of the time. Let us know if you face any problem regarding MTP using comment section or social media.
More on Driver: