WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging services available for the Web, Android, iOS, macOS, and even on Windows PC. Apart from just text messages, images, audio files, videos, and voice notes, you can also use the platform to send large files.
Yes WhatsApp now let users send large files that were earlier restricted to only 16MB. Users can now send files up to <2GB (2000MB to be specific) in size. If you are looking for a way to send large files over WhatsApp, this is the guide for you.
How To Send Large Files on WhatsApp Messenger
There can be many reasons why you might be reading this guide. Well of course you want to know how you can share large files via WhatsApp as well as what the file size limitations are for WhatsApp. Let’s get started.
WhatsApp File Size Limit
Every platform out there has set a limit as to how big of a file you will be able to share via the platform. The reason why this limit is there in the first place is only that it would save network bandwidth from being misused by people or the servers running out of space. So, the fixed limit that WhatsApp has is a 2GB file size limit. Yes, you can easily share files via WhatsApp that are under 2 GB. You can also share any type of file regardless of the file format via WhatsApp. Here is how you can share such files in any file format.
Note: To send files up to 2000MB, you need to use send files as a document.
Send Large Files on WhatsApp for Android
You can easily share large files of any file format provided they weigh under 2 GB on your Android device. Here is how you can do that.
- Launch the WhatsApp app on your Android device. Make sure you have the latest version installed from the Google Play Store.
- Open the chat screen with the person or group that you wish to send the file.
- Tap on the attachments icon in the textbox and choose the Document icon.
- Here you can choose to view files from your file picker. Select any file that you want provided that the files weigh under 2 GB.
- Once you select the file it will ask for confirmation, hit the send button. This will take time based on file size and your network upload speed.
Send Big Files on WhatsApp for iOS
When it comes to sharing files on iOS devices you cannot easily share files because of how the operating system is. But, if you plan to simply share large-sized photos or videos with contact via WhatsApp on iOS, you can follow these steps.
- On your iPhone, open the Photos app.
- Now scroll and select the image or video that you wish to share with someone on WhatsApp.
- Tap on the Share option when you open the photo or video.
- Choose the Save To Files option.
- Once the file has been saved, launch WhatsApp on your iOS device.
- Now, tap on the + icon at the bottom and choose the Document option.
- Simply browse through the files that are displayed on the screen. Select your image or video file and tap on Send/Open.
- The file will be sent via WhatsApp without being compressed.
Share Large Files via WhatsApp on a PC
- Launch WhatsApp on your PC either by using the app or the web version.
- Now to send a large file, simply click on the attachments icon in the text box of the chat screen.
- Click on the Documents icon. This will open up the File Browser within WhatsApp.
- Simply navigate and slate the file that you wish to send.
- Once you have selected it, click on the OK button.
- The file will now be sent to the person via WhatsApp. However, a maximum of 100MB can be sent as a file via WhatsApp for PC.
Sharing Extremely Large Files via WhatsApp
Since you have a file size cap when it comes to sharing files on WhatsApp, it can be difficult to share large files (more than 2GB) easily via WhatsApp. In this case, the only sensible option out there is to make use of the numerous cloud storage options. You have a number of options to store your particularly large-sized file on any of the following cloud storage services
- Google Drive
- MEGA Drive
- Microsoft OneDrive
Once you have uploaded your large-sized file to any one of the above cloud storage services, you can easily generate a share link to the file and simply share the link with the person via WhatsApp. Links can be easily shared via Whatsapp with anyone you want. Of course it now depends on how you adjust the file access for the person on your choice of cloud storage options.
This concludes the guide on how you can easily share large files and extremely large with anyone on WhatsApp on any platform. Now if the file is a relatively sized one like around 100 MB or so, it’s best to send it directly via WhatsApp either via an Android or Windows PC device. But, if it’s a large file size, then making use of cloud services saves you a lot of time plus it does not run up the bandwidth of the WhatsApp servers. Plus, a lot of cloud storage services have let you create a free account and give you a reasonable amount of storage for free. If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.