If we take a look at messaging platforms, there are numerous out there. But, one of the most popular messaging platforms out there is WhatsApp. Owned now by Meta, WhatsApp is a messaging platform that has been the world’s go-to platform to send and receive texts as well as make audio and video calls – all for free. Throughout its lifetime, the platform has received a good number of features that have made the platform a more desirable option for users.
Now, WhatsApp has finally brought a feature that many users, including myself can finally be making use of. The ability to use the same WhatsApp account on two or even more different devices. Yes, the feature has finally been brought to WhatsApp and I’ll be showing you how you can make use of this great new feature.
How to Use One WhatsApp Account on Two or More Devices
Until now, Telegram was one of the popular messaging platforms that let you stay signed into the same account on multiple devices. Now that WhatsApp has brought this feature in, we could expect to see a growth in WhatsApp users. Without wasting any time, let’s take a look at how you can use the same WhatsApp account on multiple devices.
The new feature that lets you use the same WhatsApp account on multiple devices is called Companion mode. This mode was first made available to users in the beta channel. Now that the feature has been rolled out to all users.
- One WhatsApp account
- Two mobile devices
- WiFi Network
Now that you know what you need in order to make use of Companion Mode on WhatsApp, check out the steps that you need to follow to enable Companion Mode for your WhatsApp account.
For this tutorial, we will be referring to different phones as Phone 1 and Phone 2. Phone 1 will be the original device that has the WhatsApp account. Phone 2 will be the secondary device that will be made to use the WhatsApp account present on Phone 1.
- Make sure to install the latest version of the WhatsApp app on both phones. The new update is available to all users on Android as well as iOS.
- On phone 1 launch the WhatsApp app and tap on the three-dot menu at the top right corner. (On iPhone: Tap Settings from the navigation bar and select Linked Devices)
- From the menu that opens up, tap on Linked Devices.
- You should see a green button that says, Link a Device. Tap on it.
- On Phone 2, Install WhatsApp and Open it. Tap Agree and Continue option.
- Tap the three dots at the top, then select the Linked devices option, now you should see a QR code displayed on the screen.
- Now, using the QR scanner from WhatsApp on Phone 1, scan the QR code displayed on Phone 2.
- Phone 2 will now be signed in with your WhatsApp account right away.
- Yes, you can now use one WhatsApp account on two devices.
If for some reason you want to close WhatsApp from your second smartphone, then you can log out of WhatsApp from the secondary device. You can do it by following these steps.
- On Android: Tap Three Dots Menu Icon > Settings > Account > Log out
- On iPhone: Settings > Account > Log out
Have doubts? Read On
Here are some common questions many people might have after following the guide.
Does WhatsApp work in real-time on both phones?
Yes, all devices logged in with the same number will show messages in real time. For example, if you send a message to someone from one device, the same will reflect on other devices at the same time.
Do I need both phones to connect to the Internet?
No, you only need the internet on the device on which you are using WhatsApp during that time. Also, you can connect to the Internet using any method WiFi or using Carrier Network.
Do I need SIM Card on the second phone to use the same WhatsApp account?
No, The second phone does not need to have a SIM Card of the same number or any SIM Card at all. The second phone only requires Internet using WiFi or a Cell network.
This is how you can finally use one WhatsApp account on two different devices. This is a great feature that WhatsApp has finally implemented. This is surely going to be a benefit for a lot of users. The message history will be synced between both devices. However, you might not always be able to view older messages. In this case, you can always check those older messages on your primary or main phone that has your WhatsApp account.
If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.