With smartphones making our lives easier, smart technology is now being integrated into our vehicles as well. Gone are the days when you would see new cars with a basic infotainment screen that let you change the radio stations, browse through a map built into the system, or simply change the songs playing via Bluetooth or via a plugged-in USB. Android Auto has now made driving safer and better. You can easily call out the Google Assistant to show you directions to a place, look at traffic status live, ask it to play a song, read a message, or even place a call to a contact.
While it is great to make use of new tech like Android Auto, it is important that you know how to add the right apps and organize them so that you can access these apps without having to move your focus from driving to the infotainment screen. In this guide, we will show you how to add apps to Android Auto and also show you how you can organize them easily.
How to Add Apps on Android Auto
Now let’s take a look at the steps that you need to follow to add the necessary apps to your Android Auto.
- First, download the apps that you think would be useful for you when driving and using Android Auto.
- Once all the apps are installed, download the Android Auto app to your mobile device.
- Launch the Android Auto app on your mobile phone.
- Tap on the Customize Launcher option.
- You will see this option under the General Settings for the app.
- You will now see a list of all apps that are compatible with Android Auto. Not all apps have Android Auto support.
- To add the apps to Android Auto, simply tap on the check box that you see on the right side of the app.
This is how you can easily add the apps to your Android Auto. With the apps added, it is now time to organize these apps in a manner that becomes easy for you to access on your car’s head unit.
How to Organize Apps on Android Auto
Now that we have seen what the steps are to add apps to Android Auto, now let’s take a look at how you can arrange and organize these apps in Android Auto.
- Launch the Android Auto app on your mobile device.
- Under the General header, tap on Customize Launcher
- You can tap on Launcher Sorting to organize the apps that you want to see on the top.
- Simply tap and drag the dots on the left side of the app then move it up or down.
Alternatively, you can also add shortcuts to the launcher itself. Here is how you can do that.
- Tap on the Add Shortcut to Launcher option in the Android Auto app.
- You can now choose between adding a contact or adding an assistant action.
- If you tap on Add a Contact, it will ask you to choose a contact that you would like to speed dial from the Android Auto unit right away.
- If you choose the second option ie Assistant Action,
- You can enter the voice command and also add an icon label so that the assistant is able to easily register your command and execute it whenever you ask it to do so.
This concludes the guide on how you can easily add apps to your Android Auto launcher. Also, we have shown you how you can easily arrange and organize these apps as wella s add shortcuts that can be understood by Google Assistant with ease. With all this in mind, you can easily drive with full concentration without having to tinker around or get distracted by fiddling with the Android Auto head unit.
If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.