Today, I am going to share a step-by-step guide on how you can enable and use Nearby Sharing on Windows 11.
Gone are the days when you had to make use of Bluetooth to transfer your field from one Windows PC to another Windows PC. Sure, it was a great option back then, but, it was a very slow and time-consuming process. Of course, smaller files could be easily transferred, but large file sizes would either take up too much time or simply fail the transfer. With time, things have changed and now Windows PCs can make use of Nearby Sharing. So, let’s take a look at what it is and how you can enable and share files between PCs running Windows 11.
To be fair, Nearby Sharing was available on Windows 10 1803 but (update your system to Windows 10 1803 or newer), since then, things have changed and the feature has got a new UI as well as the steps to enable Nearby Sharing. So, if you wanted to know how you can make use of Nearby Sharing on a Windows 11 PC, this is the guide for you.
Nearby Sharing on Windows 11
Before we talk about how you can enable and use nearby Sharing, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind.
- Nearby Sharing will work only between Windows 10 and Windows 11 PCs.
- Nearby Share on Android is not the same as Nearby Sharing on Windows
- You can choose to share files between devices logged into the same Microsoft Account or choose to share between any Windows 10 or 11 PCs.
- Make sure that both devices are nearby i.e., within the same room.
- Both devices have the latest driver updates for WiFi and Bluetooth.
How to enable Nearby Sharing on Windows 11
Here are the steps you need to follow to enable Nearby Sharing on your Windows 11 PC
- Click on the Start button to open up the Start Menu on your PC.
- Now, click on the Settings app icon.
- With the Settings app open, click on System.
- Towards your right, click on the option that says Nearby Sharing.
- It will now display the Settings page for Nearby Sharing.
- You can choose whether to have the option set to Off, My Devices Only, or Everyone Nearby.
- However, you will have to sign in with your Microsoft Account to be making use of Nearby Sharing.
Change Receiving Folder
Now, when you receive files from another Windows PC via Nearby Sharing, the files will be saved in the Downloads folder by default. However, if you wish to change the folder, you can follow these steps.
- Open the Settings app from the Start Menu.
- Now, click on system and then on Nearby Sharing on your right.
- You should see an option that says Save file I receive to.
- Click on the button that says Change.
- Now, simply browse through the File manager and either choose or create a folder where you want all files to be saved.
- On the same screen, you will also be able to change your Device’s name. Simply click on the Rename option and set the new device name.
How to Send Files with Nearby Sharing on Windows 11
You can send any type of file to another Windows PC via nearby Sharing. You can follow these steps to send a file via Nearby Sharing.
- Open the File Manager by pressing the Windows + E keys simultaneously.
- Now, navigate over to the file that you wish to send to the other Windows PC.
- Right-click on the file to bring the context menu.
- At the top or bottom of the context menu, you will see the Share icon. Click on it.
- It will pull up the Sharing window on your desktop.
- You can simply select the device under the Nearby Sharing option.
- On the other Windows PC, you will receive a notification asking if you wish to accept the file transfer. Select yes.
- The file will now be transferred from your PC to the other PC right away.
And this is how you can make use of Nearby Sharing from a Windows 11 PC. This is a simple and easy way to share files across other supported Windows devices. As of now, the file-sharing application works between Windows PCs only. With regards to sharing files from or to an Android device using a Windows PC, we could possibly see the feature become a reality in the coming months. If you have questions or doubts, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.