Netflix, everyone’s go-to streaming service for all their favorite shows and movies has been in hot water for a while. Looking at how the service previously let you share your accounts with your friends is now ensuring that you can no longer share the account with your friends.
Netflix now states that it is best to have your own Netflix account instead of having to share an account with a friend. So, what happens to the profile that you have created on your friend’s Netflix account? The settings as well as the watch list created by you when you no longer are able to use your friend’s account?
Well, Netflix has ensured that your curated Netflix profile from your friend’s account can now be easily transferred to another account. And yes, this also works if you are creating a brand-new Netflix account. This new feature is called Profile Transfer. If you’re someone planning to create a new Netflix account but want all of the settings and information from your shared profile on the shared account, this guide is for you.
Transferring or exporting your Netflix profile to your new account is a simple and easy process. But, before we dig into the steps that you need to transfer or export your Netflix profile, here are a few things that you need to keep in mind.
What Data Will Be Transferred?
Here is a list of things that will be exported from your Netflix profile:
- Profile name and icon
- Netflix Recommendations List
- Watch History
- Device Information
- Continue Watching List
- My list Titles
- Game Saves and Game handles
- Settings for language, subtitles, dubbing, autoplay, maturity ratings, viewing restrictions
- Test participation, stream quality, in-app notifications
What Profiles Can Be Transferred
Your profile needs to meet the following criteria in order to be able to export or transfer your Netflix profile.
- Active Netflix account
- Not a Kid’s profile
- Not protected by a PIN
- No profile email address is attached to it.
How to Turn On Profile Transfers on Netflix
Here are the steps that you can follow to first enable profile transfers on Netflix for your account:
- First off, make sure to launch the app or open the website and sign in with the credentials to your Netflix account.
- Now, head over to your Accounts page.
- From the Settings section, select the Turn On Profile Transfers option. I have this option already enable so it has option to turn it off. Don’t turn it off if its already enabled.
- Finally, choose Allow.
- You will receive an email from Netflix talking about the profile transfers. Click on the Enable Instantly option in your email.
- Your Netflix profile is now ready to be transferred to a new or another existing account.
Starting A New Netflix Profile With Profile Transfer
If you’re planning to create a brand new Netflix account, you can always import your profile that was present on the previous Netflix account that you were sharing. Here are the steps to start your new Netflix account with the exported profile data.
- First off, open your favorite web browser and sign in with the account details of your previous Netflix account.
- Once signed in, click on your profile to open drop down and head over to the Accounts > Profiles and Parental Controls > Transfer Profiles option, click on it. Or if you see Transfer Profile option right away in the drop down, choose this instead of Accounts.
- Now, choose Start Profile Transfer.
- Click on the A New Account option and click Next.
- Now, simply enter the details for your new Netflix profile such as the email address and your password.
- Once the transfer has been completed, you will be signed into your new Netflix account.
How to Transfer Netflix Profile To Existing Netflix Account
You can also Import your Netflix profile to a Netflix account that you have already been using for a while. Here are the steps to perform the Profile Transfer.
- Launch the web browser and sign in to Netflix from the account you plan to export your profile.
- Once you have signed in, click on your profile to open drop down and head over to the Accounts > Profiles and Parental Controls > Transfer Profiles option, click on it. Or if you see Transfer Profile option right away in the drop down, choose this instead of Accounts.
- Now click on Start Profile Transfer.
- Make sure to choose the An Existing Account option.
- Now, enter the email address and password of the account that you plan to transfer your profile to.
- Finally, confirm the transfer by selecting the Transfer Profile option.
- Once the Profile Transfer has been completed, you will now be signed into the account to which you transferred your Netflix profile.
Important Points To Note
- You cannot duplicate your profile with in the same account
- Profile Transfers will not work with third-party billing. You will have to change your payment type or simply create a new account
- You can always finish a profile transfer at any time
- Transferring your Netflix profile is free. There are no charges whatsoever. If anyone is saying that you need to pay for profile transfers, steer away from such
This concludes the guide on how you can transfer or export your Netflix profile to either a new Netflix account or an existing one. Now that you have this information, about being able to carry over most of your data from one profile to another, it is best to make use of it at a time when Netflix is taking out accounts that are being shared by multiple people and not by families. If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them below.