With the rise of streaming services, people enjoy streaming their favorite shows and movies in the comfort of their homes. However, there is even more fun when you can stream the latest content with your friends or loved ones whether they are near or far away. And keeping that in mind here is a guide on how to stream Netflix on Discord.
Thanks to services such as Discord, you can now stream Netflix and other streaming services with your friends with no boundaries of time, or region. Yes, you can use Zoom to stream Netflix but the free version has a time limit. This brings up the rise of various watch parties that are more enjoyable. So, if you are planning to host a new watch party with your friends for a new movie or show on Netflix, this is the guide for you. Here you will find how to screen share Netflix on Discord.
Table of Contents
Is it possible to Stream Netflix on Discord?
Yes, it is possible thanks to the ability of Discord. Discord is a powerful tool not just for managing community or interacting with others in the text, but also sharing screen and audio. And by using these abilities you can easily screen share Netflix on Discord, considering you have a Netflix subscription and Discord on your device.
How to Stream Netflix on Discord on PC
Screen sharing Netflix over Discord also lets you help friends who might not be able to watch a particular show in their region because of geo-restrictions. If the show or movie is available in your region, you can always offer to help out and have a watch party with your friends over Discord. And because Discord is very popular and free, everyone will be having an account over at Discord, and if not they can easily create an account. Here is our guide on how to screen share Netflix Shows and movies over Discord.
- Internet Connection
- Web Browser
- Netflix Account
- Discord Application
Setup Netflix and disable Hardware Acceleration
- Turn on your PC and connect it to the internet. Update your Web browser to the latest version.
- Now, launch the web browser of your choice. Head over to Netflix and sign in with your Netflix credentials. Ensure that your plan is active. If not, subscribe or renew your Netflix plan.
- Now, open the Settings of your web browser.
- On the Settings page, head over to the search bar and type in Hardware Acceleration.
- From the search results, select it and make sure to have Hardware Acceleration switched to Off. This is required to remove the black screen issue while screen sharing Netflix over Discord.
- Now restart your browser. It will take you back to your Netflix homepage.
Setup Discord for Screen Share
- With all adjustments done to the web browser, launch Discord App on your PC. Make sure to update Discord to the latest version.
- You will need to create a server with your friends. If you have an existing server with your friends, that will also suffice. Creating a server is easy, just tap on the big + icon on the left and follow onscreen instructions.
- Now, click on the user Settings gear icon that is at the bottom left next to your user name.
- With the Settings page open, scroll and click on the option that says Registered Games. It will be available under Activity settings.
- Click on the blue text that says Add it. It will display a list of open programs. Select your web browser from the list and click on Add Game button.
Screen Share Netflix on Discord
Once you have set up the Discord, its time to go live on Discord with Netflix.
- Open the server with your friends in it.
- Make sure to Join a Voice Channel that is on the left side of the screen.
- At the bottom, you will see the browser you have added as a game with the a computer icon next to it that says Stream browser name.
- Click on the button and then setup the quality you want to share on Discord. For 1080p or higher you will need Discord Nitro subscription. Also select Voice Channel that your friends have joined in your server.
- With everything done, simply hit the Go Live button.
- You are now streaming Netflix with your friends via Discord.
How to Stream Netflix on Discord via Android or iPhone
If you want to share Netflix on Discord through your Android phone or iPhone, you can follow this method. Yes its possible to stream Netflix on Discord for Android or iOS. Its quite simple.
- Install Discord app and Netflix app on your phone.
- Now open Netflix and sign in with your accout.
- Open Discord and go to your server. If you don’t have any server, you can create one and ask your friends to join your server.
- When you are in the server swipe to the right (or tap three bars) and select a Voice channel.
- Tap on the Join Voice button.
- Once connected swipe up to bring more options. Here you will find Share Your Screen, tap on it.
- You will get a prompt, tap Start Now. This will start casting your phone screen with your freinds joined on that voice channel.
- Go to Netflix app and play the Movie you decided to watch with your friends over Discord.
- That’s it!
Fix Black Screen Issue while streaming on Discord
Black screen is a common issue that most of the users face while streaming games or movies over Discord. There could be many reasons to the black screen issue. If this is happening with you as well, then you can follow these fixes to save your watchparty.
1. Disable Hardware Acceleration on Browser
This is a feature available on most of the browser. It uses GPU to stream or play videos for better quality. However it also messes with the service used to stream. This can be one of the reason why black screen is appearing and not the video that you want to stream. So make sure to turn off Hardware Acceleration from browsers settings. You can follow the guide mentioned in the first method. Make sure to restart your Browser after disabling HW acceleration.
2. Disable Hardware Acceleration on Discord App
The same feature is also available on Discord App. To disable it on Discord go to Settings > Advanced > Hardware Acceleration. Disable it by turning the toggle to Off. The Discord app will relaunch, if not relaunch manually.
3. Run Discord App as Administrator
Search for the Discord App on your Windows PC. Right click on the Discord App from the result and click on Run as Administrator.
4. Update Display Driver
If you haven’t update your display driver from a long time, this could be the reason for Black Screen issue on Discord. So make sure to update your display driver. You can check for updates in Device Manager.
5. Clear Discord App Cache
If trying above methods didn’t work, you can try clearning Discord cache from your PC. You can find the cache folder inside Roaming folder. Here’s a location example: C:\Users\ashub\AppData\Roaming\discord.
So these are some fixes to get rid of black screen issue while streaming your Netflix or other content over Discord.
This concludes our guide on how to stream Netflix on Discord via PC and Android/iPhone. We hope this guide has helped you and even motivated you in creating a streaming party with your friends in the comfort of your homes. If you have any doubts or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments below.
Other Useful Guides: