Apple announced macOS 13 during its WWDC22 event this year. As you would expect from Apple, every iteration of macOS gets a lot of improvement in performance, security, and features, The one thing that any Windows user wants to do is try out and see how good macOS is without buying a Mac. Well, this is possible. Here you will know how to install macOS 13 on a Windows PC.
Granted, it’s still in its developer preview stage doesn’t stop anyone from trying out the OS. So, if you have a Windows PC and want to try macOS Ventura, this is the guide. Also, this guide will work for upcoming macOS 13 updates including stable builds.
macOS Ventura brings in a slew of new features such as using your iPhone as a webcam, the ability to undo and edit iMessages, sharing grouped tabs, and also the ability to search through various content in the dedicated mail app. Normally to use macOS, you would need to own a Mac system. Thankfully, there is a way that lets you run macOS Ventura on your Windows PC. Read through this guide to know how you can run macOS on your Windows PC.
How to Install macOS 13 Ventura on Windows
We will require a few things to be able to run macOS 13 Ventura on your Windows PC. Here is what you will be needing.
- The latest version of VMware Workstation Pro
- VMware Unlocker
- macOS 13 Ventura ISO file
- Windows PC running Windows 10 or Windows 11
Setup VMware Workstation Pro
VMware Workstation Pro is software that lets you create multiple virtual machines of your choice. With this software, you can run almost any desktop OS available. Follow these steps to set up and install VMware Workstation Pro.
- On your PC, launch your favorite web browser and head over to the downloads page for the latest version of VMware Workstation Pro.
- Once the download has been completed, run the installer.
- It will ask for permission to make changes to your PC. Click on OK.
- Read and accept the terms and conditions of the agreement.
- Once you have accepted it, the program will begin to install on your PC.
- In a few minutes, the installation will be completed. Click on the Finish button to close the installation screen.
Download VMware Unlocker
Before going ahead to install macOS on VMware Workstation Pro, you will need to install a few patch files for VMWare to be able to read macOS files properly. You can make use of a tool called VMWare Unlocker. Here are the steps to download and install it.
- First, open your web browser and head over to this GitHub page, and download the zip file to your PC.
- Once downloaded, extract the file to reveal its contents.
- Open the folder and look for the file that says win-install.cmd. Right-click on it, and select Run as administrator.
- The program will now look for macOS VMware files. Since the files are not available, the program will download and install these files to your PC.
- The download size of the file will be around 600 MB.
- Once the download has been completed, the program will automatically close.
Download macOS 13 Ventura ISO file
If you are a mac user, you will know that the file format for macOS installers will be in the .dmg format. Now, this format works perfectly with macOS systems. And since it won’t be readable on Windows PC or by VMware, you will have to search for the ISO file version of macOS 13 Ventura. A simple Google search will show you a number of places from where you can download the ISO file of macOS 13. Do note that the file size will be larger. You can expect a file size of 12GB or more. Also, ensure that you download the ISO file from reputable and trusted sources.
Install macOS 13 Ventura on VMware
Now that you have all the right tools, let’s take a look at the steps on how you can install macOS 13 Ventura in VMware on a Windows PC.
- Open VMware and click on Create a new Virtual Machine.
- Choose Typical Installation from the dialog box that appears.
- Now, choose the radio button that says ‘I will install the operating system’.
- In the next dialog box, choose Apple macOS X and pick the latest version of macOS that is available in the drop-down menu.
- Click on the Next button to name your virtual machine.
- Let the location path be the default one that is displayed.
- You need to allocate the maximum disk size and choose the store as a single file option. At least 80GB is recommended.
- The next screen lets you choose the CPU, RAM, and other aspects of your virtual machine.
- And finally, click on the NEW CD/DVD SATA option to browse and select the macOS 13 Ventura ISO file.
There is one more step that you need to follow before you go ahead to power up the macOS 13 Ventura virtual machine. You need to make changes to the vmx file in order to have the macOS 13 Ventura file running. You will find this file in the Documents folder under Virtual Machine > macOS. Right-click on the .vmx file and open it using Notepad. Scroll to the end of the code and type in
smc.version = “0”
Now, save the notepad file and close it.
Setup macOS 13 Ventura on VMware
The final step is to power up the virtual machine and run macOS Ventura. Click on Power this virtual machine option to switch on your macOS machine. The Apple logo will be displayed. You will have to select the language and name your Mac. Select macOS 13 beta on screen and click on continue. The installation should now begin. Once the installation is completed, you will have to complete some one-time setups. Create a username and password, agree to various terms and conditions as well as choose to enable or disable Siri.
And this is how you can install macOS 13 Ventura on your Windows PC using VMware. Sure it might be extra steps for a few people, but it is with giving it a try and experiencing macOS 13 Ventura. Now, this is a beta version of macOS 13, so you can expect some bugs, problems, crashes and a few things to not be working properly. This is expected from beta versions of software. Once the stable version of macOS 13 Ventura comes out, you can download the ISO and make use of it in your VMware. If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.