WWDC21 saw the launch of various Apple software. iOS 15, iPadOS 15, tvOS 15, watchOS 8 and the all new macOS 12 Monterey. As it is with Apple’s software, there are always tons of features and improvements with every release version. Now that it’s available as a developer preview, many people would wish to try the OS even before the public beta version gets released. Here is a guide on how to create macOS Monterey bootable USB drive.
The all-new macOS now has better uses for facetime. Like being able to share a movie screen or stream a new song via Apple music with your friends all thanks to SharePlay. Even Messages and the safari browser have got significant improvements as well.
You also now have the improved version of Maps, better privacy control, and settings, a low power mode to preserve your MacBook’s battery, and also be able to AirPlay from your iPhone to your Mac. Of course, these features are super interesting, and if you want to try these out right away, then you can install macOS Monterey with a bootable USB drive.
Create a macOS Monterey bootable USB drive
Enroll your Mac for macOS Monterey beta
You can enroll for the macOS 12 Monterey developer beta with a $99 subscription. Yes, Apple let you test the first few beta builds to developers. Or you can also wait for few weeks when the public beta will be available for free. The macOS 12 Monterey public beta will be available in July.
To enroll for beta (developers) go to this link. And for public beta tester go to this link. If you wish to install macOS Monterey beta without bootable USB then check out this guide.
In case you have paid developer account, then you can follow the below steps to download macOS Monterey beta installer.
At first, you need to head over to the Apple Developer Program page, then head over to the download section and find macOS Monterey beta and then download the Beta Access Utility on your desktop, after downloading, install the software.
After completing the installation, launch System Preferences > Software Update > now you can see the macOS Monterey beta, click on Download button.
Once downloaded, it will ask you to sideload (aka install), you can cancel the installation. The beta is available on Application folder now.
Plugin and Format USB Flash Drive
- Plug in your USB Flash Drive (aka Pen Drive) to your Mac.
- Now launch Disk Utility, then Format the USB Flash Drive by using the following command:
GUID Partition Map, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Name: Installer then click on Erase
How to Make macOS Monterey USB Installer Disk
- Launch Terminal.
- Type the below command carefully.
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 12\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/Installer –nointeraction
- Now hit the Return key (aka Enter key) from your Mac’s keyboard and enter the password if prompted.
- Now it will start creating a macOS Monterey USB, the process will take some time. You’ll see done message once completed.
Now install macOS Monterey Beta
- Plug in the USB Flash Drive to the Mac and restart your MacBook or iMac, press the left option (alt) key while rebooting or powering up your system.
- Now it will show you multiple boot options, select macOS Monterey Beta installer disk.
- Then you can erase or format the SSD from Disk Utility for sideloading the macOS Monterey.
- After formatting, it will begin installing the macOS Monterey you can follow the on-screen instructions while sideloading the latest macOS.
- That’s it.
If you are comfortable with the issues and bugs that might be present in the beta macOS Monterey then go ahead and install it. Also always make sure to download these files from the official Apple sources only. Downloading from unofficial sources and links might make you download a corrupted file or maybe even a file infected with a virus. We hope this guide helped you in creating a macOS Monterey bootable USB drive.
You May Also Like – List of Games Compatible with Mac M1
If you’re facing any issues while sideloading the new OS, then you can let us know in the comment section. Also, share this guide with your friends.
More Related Articles: