The Steam client is one of the most used stores by people to purchase games and software. You can get a ton of free as well as paid games and even be able to pre-order games right away. One might say, well it’s a good client, what could go wrong? There are a few things that could go wrong like when you were trying to download a new game or are trying to update a game, the download suddenly just stops. This can be super annoying so here is a guide to fix Steam download keeps stopping.
Let’s say you have a game that you recently purchased, and its file size is around 100 GB or so. Now pair this download size with your slow internet speed. This download can take a lot of time so the best you can do is let the game download overnight. But what could happen is that the download suddenly just decides to stop and not continue. There could be a lot of reasons. But that doesn’t stop you from trying out different fixes that we will be showing you in our guide. Read on to know how to fix Steam downloads that keep stopping.
Fix Steam Download That Keeps Stopping
Luckily, there are many fixes that you can follow to fix this annoying download issue. Out of the many ways we have mentioned below, at least one of the methods should work perfectly for you.
Fix 1: Use Updated and Latest Version of Steam
Every piece of software has its flaws and bugs and the job of the developers is to provide the end-users with fixes and a version of the software that is free from those bugs. Similarly, in the case of Steam, having the latest version is always better. Follow these steps to update your Steam client.
- Launch the Steam client on your System.
- Now, click on Steam from the menu bar in the top left corner.
- A menu will now appear.
- From the menu, select the Check for Steam Client Updates.
- If there are any updates available, they will be downloaded and installed right away.
- You will have to relaunch Steam to complete the installation.
- Now, your downloads should be working properly. If it still happens, you can follow the next method.
Fix 2: Clear Steam Cache
Clearing the download cache for Steam can also help in resolving many of the issues you might be facing when downloading your games or software from Steam. Follow these steps on how to clear the download cache and fix steam download keeps stopping.
- Launch the Steam client.
- Now, click on Steam from the top left corner of the client.
- From the menu, select the Settings option.
- Now, the Settings window for Steam will appear.
- Select Downloads from the left-hand pane.
- On the right-hand side of the settings page, you will see a Clear Download Cache button.
- It will ask if you wish to clear the cache and log in to Steam again.
- Select Yes.
- The Steam client will now close itself.
- Launch the client again and sign in with your details.
- The game downloads should now work just fine.
Fix 3: Change Steam Download Region
The Steam client connects to the nearest server to you in your region to be able to download games faster. Sometimes, these servers can have some sort of issues that might be hampering the downloads for your games. Thankfully enough, you can change the download servers. Here are the steps.
- Launch the Steam client and click on the Steam menu button in the top left corner.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Now, on the left-hand side of the Settings window, select Downloads.
- On your right-hand side, you will see the Download Region option with a drop-down menu.
- Simply select the region of your choice from the list.
- Now, click on the OK button. Steam will ask to be restarted. Select Yes.
- The Steam client should now restart, and you will be able to download your games on Steam without having any issues.
Fix 4: Disable Download Restrictions
Download restrictions can also impact the downloads of your games. These restrictions are handy when you have a plan that is limited or probably a plan that reduces its download speeds so that it doesn’t exhaust your data cap. But, if you are someone that has an unlimited data plan, you might want to remove those restrictions. It can fix Steam download keeps stopping. Here’s how.
- Open the Steam client.
- Click on the Steam menu button in the top left corner. and click on Settings.
- Now, select Downloads from the Settings window.
- You will see the download restrictions option at the right.
- Uncheck all the options that are there and click on the OK button.
- Your downloads should now be happening without any pauses.
Fix 5: Pause or Close Applications that Consume Heavy Data
If you have some other programs or web browsers that are actively using your data connection, it might be best if you could pause them or close them completely when downloading games on Steam. This is done so that all of your data gets used only and only by the Steam client. Apart from this, also make sure to disconnect any other devices that might be connected to your Wi-Fi network. Additionally, pause any Windows update downloads that could be downloaded in the background.
Fix 6: Restart Your PC and Router
If for some reason you will that none of the steps above helped you, your last resort is to restart your PC as well as your Router. Make sure to check with your ISP if they have reduced access t particular web services. A simple restart should usually help with fixing issues for almost anything you could imagine.
And there you have it. Different steps for you to follow to solve Steam download keeps stopping issue. We hope that at least one of the steps mentioned above helps you to rectify this particular issue. Have you ever come across such a situation and tried any method that worked perfectly for you? Let us know about your experiences in the comments below.