After releasing the stable Android 14 update for its latest Nothing Phone 2 last week, the company has now released the Android 14 open beta for its first phone, the Nothing Phone 1. Just like the Nothing Phone 2, the Android 14 open beta for Nothing Phone 1 is available with Nothing OS 2.5.
This means that Nothing Phone 1 users can now finally enjoy Android 14 based Nothing OS 2.5 ahead of its official launch. Open beta is available for everyone to try. The open beta are very similar if not identical to stable builds.
This is a major update for the device and brings a bunch of new features for Nothing Phone 1 users to try out. Before you go ahead and join the Android 14 Open Beta program, you might want to know about its new features that the company has officially shared in the announcement page.
- Redesigned a joint Home Screen and Lock Screen customisation page and improved the edit wallpaper flow for a more comprehensive view of options.
- New Atmosphere wallpaper effect: Transform your background photo into a dynamic wallpaper that brings motion to colours on your home screen. A seamless transition between your lock and home screens.
- Introduced solid colour wallpapers for a cleaner Home Screen appearance.
- Added a monochrome colour theme in the basic colour section.
- Customisable double-press power button to quickly access a chosen feature. Just head to Settings > System > Gestures.
- More Lock Screen shortcut options like: Do Not Disturb, Mute, QR code scanner, video camera.
- Capture screenshots quickly with a three-finger swipe gesture.
- New screenshot editor and menu, allowing for more advanced editing features and quick deletions.
- Pedometer Widget: Track your daily steps directly from your home screen. Set goals and monitor your progress to stay motivated.
- Media Player Widget: Displays the currently playing song. Control your music easily while on-the-move.
- Screen Time Widget: Monitor and manage your daily screen time to maintain a healthy digital lifestyle.
- Notes: To use these new widgets, please update your Nothing Launcher and Nothing Widgets app to the latest versions available on the Play Store.
- Added a new Glyph animation for when NFC is being used.
- Improved the experience of Flip to Glyph.
- Optimised the experience of the Weather app and improved the notification of weather alerts.
- Refreshed the back gesture arrow visual to be more in line with Nothing’s style.
- Made it possible to set ringtone and notification sound volumes separately, with an updated volume control interface.
- Updated Quick Settings layout and support to show more devices icons.
- Improved the stability of the camera.
- Enhanced overall system stability for a more reliable and smooth experience.
How to join Android 14 Open Beta on Nothing Phone 1
If you have Nothing Phone 1 and want to begin the Android 14 journey before stable release, then you can easily opt for the Open Beta program. To do that you can follow these steps:
- First update your Nothing Phone 1 to latest stable Nothing OS build. And backup your data.
- Download Nothing OTA apk and install it on your phone.
- Now navigate to Settings > System > Update to Beta version.
- Tap “Check for new version” to get started.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Now you can enjoy the latest Android 14 powered Nothing OS 2.5 on your Nothing Phone 1. If you find bugs you can report it under Settings > System > Feedback.