New insider preview builds of Windows 11 are now available for beta testers. As usual, Microsoft has released two new builds to the beta channel. One build includes new features, while the other build has those features turned off by default. Read along to know all details about the Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22631.2048 and 22621.2048.
Microsoft kicks off the new Windows 11 preview build with the KB5028247 build number. The company says “Insiders who were previously on Build 22624 will automatically get moved to Build 22631 via an enablement package.”
In terms of changes, the latest beta build brings a whole new Gallery section to the File Explorer, which beautifully portrays your photo collection (the same photos available in all photos in the Photos app). There’s a new Add Phone Photos option available in the command bar, which helps you quickly add photos from your phone to the Gallery section.
Starting with this update, users on Windows insider preview build 22631 will see the versioning updated under Settings > System > About to version 23H2. This build also brings an option to end task from the taskbar with a right-click. Microsoft also added the ability to tear out and merge tabs in File Explorer. The other change coming with this build is “For Developers” settings page now available in Settings > System.
Here’s the complete list of changes and improvements.
Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22631.2048 – Changes and Improvements
- Windows Insiders on Build 22631 will see the versioning updated under Settings > System > About (and winver) to version 23H2. This denotes that Windows 11, version 23H2 will be this year’s annual feature update which will be delivered to customers similar to the most recent Windows 10 feature updates. As mentioned here, Windows 11 will have an annual feature update cadence that releases in the second half of the calendar year. For more information, see this blog post here.
- Taskbar & System Tray
- After updating to this build, the ability to end task when right-clicking an app on the taskbar may appear, however this feature currently does not work correctly and will be fixed in a future flight in the Beta Channel. The setting for it under Settings > System > For developers also currently does not show.
- File Explorer
- We have added the ability to tear out and merge tabs in File Explorer.
- For Developers
- We are moving the “For Developers” settings page from Settings > Privacy & security to now be under Settings > System.
Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22631.2048 – Fixes
- Fixed an issue which could cause the taskbar to hang during initialization and not complete loading.
- File Explorer
- Fixed an issue which could lead to explorer.exe crashes when opening a folder containing .WEBP files.
- Did some work to help address an issue where File Explorer might hang when browsing network shares.
- Fixed an issue where you might unexpectedly see a suggestion to turn off notifications that you regularly interacted with.
The new features are available on the Windows 11 insider preview build 22631.2048, if you receive the 22621 build, then you can update to the 22631 any time and get access to the new features.
If you’ve opted for the beta channel in Insider Preview Program and running on Windows 11, then you’ll receive the new beta build. You can simply head over to Settings > Windows Update > click on Check for Updates. You can simply download the update on your PC.
- Windows 11 version 22H2 Build 22621.2066 fixes a bunch of issues
- Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 29505 brings 3D Emojis and more
- How to Enable RGB Lighting Settings in Windows 11
- How to Get RAM, CPU, and GPU Widgets in Windows 11
- Windows Copilot Preview is now available on Dev Channel with the build number 23493