Microsoft has pushed a new update for Windows Subsystem for Android with a slew of new features, thanks to the upgraded Android 12L OS. The new update is currently available for Windows 11 users who opted for dev or beta channels in Windows Insider. The latest version of Windows Subsystem for Android – v2204.40000.15.0 brings many new features, improvements, and fixes. Here you can check more details of the updated Windows Subsystem for Android running Android 12.1.
As mentioned earlier, the new upgrade packs a slew of new features. The update brings experience to Android 12.1, Advanced Networking (to use other devices on the same network like the smart speakers or security cameras), redesigned Settings app (Microsoft says, “We’ve redesigned the app from the ground up, now with clearer settings groups, grouped navigation and an all-around cleaner user experience.”).
The update also brings more control to privacy now shows the apps using microphone, location, and other system services on Windows taskbar. Apart from these features, the update brings improvements to the camera, improved input from the mouse and keyboard, bumped up the Chromium WebView to v100, new video hardware decoding, and more. Here you can check the complete list of features, shared by Microsoft on the Windows Insider Blog.
Android 12.1 update for Windows Subsystem for Android – Changelog
- Windows Subsystem for Android updated to Android 12.1
- Advanced networking on by default for newer x64 Windows builds
- Updated Windows Subsystem for Android Settings app: redesigned UX and diagnostics data viewer added
- Simpleperf CPU profiler recording now works with Windows Subsystem for Android
- Windows taskbar now shows which Android apps are using microphone and location
- Improvements to Android app notifications appearing as Windows notifications
- Reduced flicker when apps are restored from minimized state
- Apps are not restarted when devices come out of connected standby on recent Windows builds
- New video hardware decoding (VP8 and VP9)
- Fixes for on-screen keyboard in apps
- Fixes for full screen Android apps and auto-hidden Windows taskbar
- Windows Subsystem for Android updated with Chromium WebView 100
- Added support for Android NetworkLocationProvider in addition to GpsLocationProvider
- Improved general stability, performance, and reliability
Android 12.1 update for Windows Subsystem for Android – Known Issues
- Instability with camera on ARM devices
- Instability printing via Android apps
- Some apps rendered at lower resolutions may lay out incorrectly
- Some VPNs may not work with Advanced Networking. If you use a VPN and find Android apps do not have network connectivity, please disable Advanced Networking in the Windows Subsystem for Android Settings app
- Some apps that were previously available might be missing from the experience, fail to launch, or function incorrectly for various known issues. We’re working with our partners to address these issues as soon as possible.
If you’re running on Windows 11 build 22621 or newer, then you can update the Windows Subsystem for Android from the Microsoft Store and access the Android 12.1 centric WSA.