Closed Captions is an accessibility feature that has been around for quite some time. They tend to be a very helpful feature for people who have hearing disabilities and hard of hearing. Closed Captions are used when you can’t turn the volume loud enough which might disturb people around you. Sometimes having closed captions on is kind of annoying and you just want to turn it off. In this article, let’s take a look at how to turn off closed captions on Roku.
Closed caption is a useful feature that shows text for the speech and can be helpful when a particular dialogue sounds mushy is a bit difficult to understand. YouTube is a popular example that has closed captions that can be enabled or disabled with a single click. Also, service providers have the option of providing closed captions, if a particular service doesn’t have closed captions and your turn it on, you won’t find these captions.
Now let’s take a look at how to turn off closed captions on Roku (both streaming stick or TV).
Turn off Closed Caption on Roku
There are two methods that you can use to turn closed captions off. Let’s get started with the first and easy method.
Method 1 – Turn off Closed Caption on Roku using Star Button
The first method is the most simple and easiest way to turn closed captions off on a Roku device. If you take a look at your Roku device remote, you will notice a button that has a star on it. When you press that button, it will bring up the options menu. Browse through the menu till you find Closed Captioning. Select it and choose from the available options such as On, Off, On Replay, or When Mute.
Method 2 – Turn off Closed Caption on Roku from Settings App
The second method involves you making use of the settings app of your Roku device. Follow these steps to turn off closed captions on your Roku device.
- On your Roku remote, press the home button.
- Scroll through the menu and select Settings.
- Within Settings, simply click on Accessibility or Captions. (Can vary from one Roku device to another)
- Now, select Caption Mode. You will see various options to choose from.
- Options are On, Off, On Replay and When Mute.
- Selecting On will have captions enabled at all times.
- With Off, the captions will be disabled right away.
- Choosing On Replay will enable captions when the user presses the replay button on the remote. This works only if the content supports instant replay.
- And finally, When Mutes basically will enable captions for content when the user mutes the audio on the Roku device. This feature is available on just a few Roku devices.
- Simply select Off to turn closed captions Off on your Roku device.
Whatever setting you leave the closed captions to, Roku will always remember it, no matter whatever program you might be watching. You can also turn closed captions off on your Roku device even in the middle of the program. One of the best things is, the afore-listed method is working with any type of streaming service such as Sling, Amazon Prime Vide, Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, and more. If you ever wish to bring the closed captions back, you simply follow the same steps to turn them on.
You May Also Like – How to connect Roku to Wi-Fi without Remote
If you have queries, drop your comments in the comment section. Also, share this article with your friends.