Are you someone that has been facing some issues with your Dell PC or laptop? Well, it would be sensible if you would perform a restart. Now, apart from problems, there could also be other reasons such as when you install a new program or install a new driver, your system will ask you to perform a restart. So, if you are someone that is looking out for how to restart Dell Laptop or PC, this is the guide for you.
Whenever there is an issue with the PC for example when it hands or freezes, you might want to perform a restart. In this case, the user has no other option other than performing a force restart. No idea how to perform a force restart? Well, this is the guide for you. Let’s take a look at the different ways you can follow to perform a restart on your Dell PC or Laptop.
How to Restart Dell Laptop or PC
From the Start Button
This is the basic method that is used by everyone to restart their Dell PC or Laptop. Here is how you can restart your PC using this method.
- First, drag your mouse and click on the Start button. It will be displayed as an icon with the Windows logo.
- Alternatively, you can press the Windows Key on your keyboard to pull up the Start Menu.
- Now, with the Start menu open, you will see a power icon. The icon will be at the left if you use Windows 10 or on the right if you use Windows 11.
- When you click on the Power icon, you will see a small menu displayed next to it.
- Simply use the mouse or arrow keys and select the Restart option.
- The system will now power off and reboot.
Use Shortcut Keys #1
The second way you can invoke the restart option is by using the shortcut keys. This is faster than and better than heading into the Start menu. Here are the steps.
- First, make sure that you have closed any open files or programs.
- Once all the items have been closed, press the ALT key and the F4 key.
- A dialogue box will now appear on your screen.
- All you need to do is use your mouse and click on the drop-down menu.
- Choose Restart and click on the OK button.
- Your system will now restart itself.
Use Shortcut Keys #2
There is another way that you can follow to restart your Dell PC or Laptop using shortcut keys. You can follow these steps to use this shortcut method. You can use this method if your system is not responsive or your program is frozen.
- Press the CTRL, ALT, and DEL keys simultaneously.
- A screen with a few options will be displayed on your screen.
- Towards your bottom right, you will see a few icons.
- Click on the Power icon and choose Restart.
- The system will force close the programs and then restart your PC.
Force restart Dell PC or Laptop
In any event that you aren’t able to restart your system by following the above methods, it is time to perform a force restart. This can be done when the PC or Laptop is unresponsive. Here’s how your can force restart your Dell PC or Laptop.
- Press and hold the power button on your Dell PC or laptop.
- Keep the button pressed for a few seconds.
- Your system will power off instantly.
- Release the power button. Your system should now power up and reboot right away.
Remove the Battery
This method works for Dell laptops that have a removable battery without having to disassemble the laptop. All you need to do is flip over your laptop and slide the switch to eject the battery. Remove the battery, wait for a few seconds and then reinsert the battery. Now, press the power button. This is how you can forcefully restart your Dell Laptop.
Unplug the Power Cables
If you are using a Dell Computer, the only way to perform a restart manually is by disconnecting all the devices from the PC and then pulling out the power cables from the PC. Wait for a few seconds and then plug the cables back in. Simply press the power button to boot up your Dell PC. Sure, it is more like forcefully switching the system off, but then, the reason for you to attempt this method is only because of some issue that is not allowing you to use your PC normally, hence the disconnect cables method.
And these are the various methods you can follow to restart your Dell PC or laptop. Do note that the last three methods are to be used only and only when your device is unresponsive. It is not recommended to use the last three methods to restart your PC all the time. The first three methods are the best way to safely restart your Dell PC or Laptop without causing any damage to your files, hardware as well as your OS.