A new Windows 11 version 22H2 build is available to the Dev channel for Insiders. The new Windows 11 Insider Preview update comes with build 23506. And the ISO is also available for this build to users for manual installation. Windows 11 build 23506 is a big update that carries many changes. Let’s find out.
Today’s update for the Dev build includes new features for businesses. The new update adds a Passwordless experience with Windows Hello for Business. Windows provides organizations with a strong, phish-resistant credential for a passwordless future. There is more to this that you can read here.
With this build, Windows 11 will now show a UI warning on unsafe password copy and paste. It will work similarly to how the warning appears when you type a password. But this must be enabled from Privacy and Security > Windows Security > App & browser control > Reputation-based protection > Phishing protection.
There are also improvements to Local File Sharing. The improvements include changes to various things:
- Redesigned Windows share window to better match the Windows 11 design principles.
- Everyone will now be able to email their files through Outlook directly within the Windows share window. Just click on the Outlook icon under the “Share using” section of the Windows share window.
- The Windows share window now has a search box so you can now search for contacts across Outlook to share a file and the Windows share window will now display 8-10 suggested contacts to quickly share to – including emailing yourself a file.
- Instead of a dropdown, you will see a button to turn on nearby sharing.
- For nearby sharing, you will find your own PCs at the top of discovered devices under “Nearby Share”.
- Files will share faster from one PC to another using Wi-Fi Direct.
- And Microsoft added “Share” to the context menu in File Explorer in addition to having the share icon at the top of the context menu.
The new Outlook app for Windows is now an Inbox app where you can connect work and personal emails, calendars, and contacts in one secure place. There are many other changes and improvements that you can check below.
Changes and Improvements
- The Windows Copilot Preview, which began rolling out with Build 23493, is now available to all Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel. Insiders may need to reboot to have it show up.
- With the update of our color font format to COLRv1, Windows is now able to display richer emoji with a 3D like appearance with support coming soon to some apps and browsers. These emoji use gradients to bring the design style that our customers have been asking for. The new emoji will bring more expression to your communications.
- Voice access is now available via the accessibility flyout on the Lock screen.
[Backup and Restore]
- In addition to the new Windows Backup app, now you can configure your backup preferences in second-chance out of box experience (SCOOBE), so your apps, settings, creds, and files are backed up in the cloud just the way you want them. You’ll have peace of mind knowing the data you care about is protected and ready for you to restore from any PC.
- We have temporarily disabled the new Settings homepage that began rolling out with Build 23493 due to a bug that could cause some instability on Insider’s PCs. We plan to re-enable and roll this back out once that bug is fixed in a future flight.
- We’ve added 2 additional energy recommendations under Settings > System > Power & battery > Energy recommendations for turning on dark mode and adjusting refresh rate to conserve energy.
There are a bunch of bug fixes and known issues that you can check here.
If you are an Insider in the Dev channel in Insider Preview Program and running on Windows 11 version 22H2, then you’ll receive the new Dev preview build. You can simply head over to Settings > Windows Update > click on Check for Updates. You can simply download the update on your PC.
- Windows 11 version 22H2 Build 22621.2066 fixes a bunch of issues
- Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 29505 brings 3D Emojis and more
- How to Enable RGB Lighting Settings in Windows 11
- How to Get RAM, CPU, and GPU Widgets in Windows 11
- Windows Copilot Preview is now available on Dev Channel with the build number 23493