Xiaomi is a well-known brand, especially for the Redmi Note series. And the latest Phone of the series is Redmi Note 7 which is also the successor of Redmi Note 6. In this guide, you will know How to Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Note 7. If you own Redmi Note 7 then this guide is helpful for you. Because it is the basic step you need to root or to install custom Recovery/Custom ROM.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 – Details
It was announced in January 2019. Redmi Note 7 features a big 6.3-inch FHD+ (1080×2340 pixels) display with dew drop design. The phone runs on the latest MIUI 10 based on Android 9 Pie OS out of the box. It runs on Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 SoC with Adreno 512 GPU. In the memory department, it has 4/6 GB RAM with 64 GB Storage and 3 GB RAM with 32 GB Storage.
Talking about camera, it has a dual real camera setup of 48-megapixel main sensor and 5-megapixel depth sensor. Real Camera is capable of recording 1080p videos at 30/60/120fps. At the front, it has a single camera of 13-megapixel camera which can record 1080p videos at 30fps. It boasts a massive 4000mAh battery.
How to Check Bootloader Status on Redmi Note 7
If you don’t know that the bootloader of your phone is locked or not. Then check out the guide. After checking the unlock status you can unlock the bootloader if it is locked.
- Make sure you are login with Mi account on your phone.
- On Redmi Note 7 open Settings.
- Go to About phone and tap on MIUI version 7-8 times continuously (A pop up will appear – You are now a developer).
- Go back to Settings and then go to Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In Developer options go to Mi Unlock Status.
- It will show the unlock status “This device is locked” or “This device is unlocked”.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Note 7
By default, all the Mi phones come with the locked bootloader. And to unlock bootloader we have to first take permission from Xiaomi Officials. And to unlock bootloader you also need drivers, tools and PC. Check out the Prerequisite to successfully unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 7.
Apply for Unlocking Permission
- On Redmi Note 7 Open Settings and go to About Phone.
- Tap on MIUI version continuously (7-8 times) until it says “you are now a developer”.
- Go to Settings > Additional settings > Developer options.
- Now enable OEM Unlocking on Redmi Note 7.
- Also enable USB Debugging in developer options.
- Create a Mi Account using an Email address or a phone number if you do not have a Mi Account. Using phone number to create an account will minimize the waiting time.
- Go to Mi unlock status and click on Add account and device. Simply go through the steps and login to the same account.
- Then in Settings go to Mi Account > Mi Cloud and turn on Sync. Enable Find Device and turn on contacts for sync. Perform sync at least once.
- Go to – http://en.miui.com/unlock and Click on Unlock Now.
- Log in to the Mi Account that you just created or use an older account.
- It will open a form, fill all the details like Name, Number, and the reason for unlocking the bootloader. The reason should not be copied from someone else.
- After reviewing your form Xiaomi will send an email or a message. It can take a day or a week (max 320hr). Mail or the message will contain the status of your form either they rejected or accepted. Only if they have accepted then you can unlock the bootloader.
- Charge your Redmi Note 7 at least 50%
- Take a full backup of your phone (Unlocking bootloader will erase all the data)
- A Laptop or PC
- A USB cable to connect with PC
- Download and Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on PC
Unlock Bootloader on Redmi Note 7
- After receiving the message, again go to the same link http://en.miui.com/unlock.
- Click on Unlock Now and Log in with the same ID.
- And this time a page will open containing Download Link of Mi Unlock Tool.
- Download the Unlock Tool and extract the tool using Winzip.
- Open the extracted folder and run MiUsbDriver.exe and install it.
- Turn off your phone, hold Volume down and Power button to enter into bootloader.
- Connect your phone to PC using a USB cable.
- In PC now open miflash_unlock.exe from the extracted folder.
- Click on Agree and log in with the same ID or same number you used to fill the form.
- Click on Unlock > Unlock Anyway.
- Wait for 100% and it will return the message “Unlocked successfully”.
- Click on Reboot phone and disconnect the phone.
- Now the Bootloader on Redmi Note 7 is unlocked.
There you have it the official way to unlock bootloader of Redmi Note 7. Now you can install TWRP recovery, Magisk, and custom ROMs on your phone.
Q: Will unlocking bootloader void phone’s warranty?
A: No, unlocking bootloader will not void the warranty of Redmi Note 7.
Q: Can I relock the bootloader after unlocking it?
A: Yes you can relock the bootloader of your phone.
Q: After unlocking bootloader, Am I eligible for OTA updates?
A: Yes if you are only unlocking bootloader then you are eligible for official updates but not after rooting the device.
Q: Is this process going to erase or format the phone.
A: Yes, to unlock the bootloader Mi Unlock tool will erase everything on your phone.
That’s it for unlocking bootloader on Redmi Note 7. If you want to get more guides on Redmi Note 7, connect to YTECHB and get notifications of the latest tips and tricks. If you have any query you can comment below, we will try to reply ASAP.
Related to Xiaomi: