Amazon Prime members, bad news! Amazon is setting the sun on its Amazon Drive service. Well for those who do not know what Amazon Drive is, it’s a cloud storage service that users can subscribe to or simply get free access to it while being an Amazon Prime member. Just like how you have Google Drive, Microsoft’s OneDrive, and Apple iCloud, Amazon decided to take part in the cloud storage game. However, now that the service is being shut down by Amazon, it is time to move your stuff from Amazon Drive to other better cloud storage services.
In place of Amazon Drive, Amazon Photos will now be used to store all your Photos and Videos. However, this also means that other files will no longer be accessible, so it is best to get your files saved to either your local storage or to another cloud storage service. In this guide, we will be talking about what will be happening to the service, how you can download the files, and even make use of any other service to upload them.
Closure of Amazon Drive service
Here are a few things that you need to know about how the Amazon Drive service will function.
- The Amazon Drive app for Android and iOS will lose support from Amazon and will no longer be available on the respective app stores.
- Users will not be able to upload any more files to Amazon Drive starting January 31st, 2023.
- Only your photos and video files will be automatically moved over to Amazon Photos. Field of other nature will be deleted after December 31st, 2023.
Download Files from Amazon Drive
If you have several files that are not images and videos, it is best to download them to your desktop so that you could upload them elsewhere or choose to backup them locally.
- On your PC, connect to the internet and launch your favorite web browser.
- Now, head over to the Amazon Drive website or simply click here.
- You might have to log in with your Amazon account if required.
- Browse through the various folders that you wish to download to your PC.
- Once you have decided what files to download, select the file and then click on the Download button.
- The button is blue and will be displayed at the top.
Cancel Amazon Drive Subscription
If you are someone that is a paying customer of Amazon Drive, it is best to go ahead and cancel the service as and when you have moved your files out of Amazon Drive. Few customers will also be eligible for a refund if they cancel the subscription before the plan ends. Follow these steps to cancel your Amazon Drive subscription.
- Launch your web browser and head over to this page.
- You will be taken to the Manage Storage Page.
- All you need to do is click on Cancel My Plan
- Finally, click on the End Now button that is present under the End my plan section.
- And this is how you can cancel your subscription to Amazon Drive.
Transfer Amazon Drive Files to other Cloud Storage services
Now that Amazon Drive is fading into the dark forever, it’s time to move all your downloaded files to another cloud storage service. Services like Google’s Drive, Microsoft’s OneDrive, and Apple’s iCloud work the best. Since you can access it easily on your mobile or PC. If you might be new to these services, you can follow the steps below for each of these services to know how to upload your files.
Upload Files to Google Drive
Google Drive is a great cloud storage platform that you get access to as soon as you create a Google Account. With the free Google Drive account, you get up to 15 GB of cloud storage. If you want more, you can always purchase extra. Here are the steps to upload files on Google Drive via PC.
- On your web browser, head over to drive.google.com.
- Once you have signed with your Google Account, click on New which is present in the top left corner.
- Choose File Upload or Folder Upload.
- You can now browse through the files stored on your computer and select the ones that you wish to upload.
Upload Files to Microsoft OneDrive
Microsoft OneDrive is another great cloud storage option. It is available with a Microsoft Account and offers you upto 5 GB of free storage out of the box. If you want more than 5 GB of storage, it would be advisable to look into the various plans that you can purchase annually for OneDrive that start at $19.99 a year to $99.99 a year. Here are the steps to follow to upload your files on OneDrive.
- Launch your favorite web browser and open up Office.com.
- You will be asked to sign in with your Microsoft Account.
- Now select OneDrive and then choose Upload followed by Files or Folder.
- Here you will be able to browse through the various files and folders on your computer.
- Simply select the file or folder by clicking on Open or Select Folder.
Upload Files to Apple iCloud
If you are someone that has an Apple device such as an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or any Mac, you will be required to create an Apple ID for it. When you create an Apple account, you will be given 5 GB of free iCloud storage If you want more, you can always purchase additional storage via iCloud+. Now, here are the steps you need to follow to upload your files from your PC to Apple iCloud.
- Using your favorite web browser, head over to icloud.com
- You will be asked to sign in with your Apple ID.
- Once you have signed in, you can simply drag and drop the files and folders into iCloud to upload.
- Alternatively, you can also click on the cloud with the up arrow to browse through files and folders on your PC to upload them to iCloud.
- And that is how you can upload your files to Apple iCloud easily.
And this is how you can download files from amazon Drive and upload them to either Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or Apple’s iCloud cloud storage service. These services are better than Amazon’s cloud storage Drive. Looking at how the service is going to be shut down, I don’t think a large number of people will be affected since the number of users for this service is quite low as compared to the three popular ones out there. If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.