ChromeOS Flex is a lightweight operating system that can be used to install on older hardware. PC and Laptops that are anywhere between 5 to 10 years old. Google announced ChromeOS Flex in February this year. Like a number of operating systems out there, it starts life as a developer build with different channels for you to join in.
Well, the stable version of ChromeOS Flex has finally been released in July and if you are someone running on the developer builds of ChromeOS Flex, you can now switch over to the stable build of Google‘s ChromeOS Flex. The current stable version of ChromeOS Flex is version 103.0.5060.114. Here you will know how to switch from ChromeOS flex developer build to ChromeOS flex stable build.
Now you can get rid of issues and bugs that are present in the ChromeOS Flex developer build. Well, they are made for testing purposes and are supposed to have minor and even major bugs. But as now the stable version is rolling out, you no longer have to stay on developer build. So, if you want to switch over to the stable builds of ChromeOS Flex, this is the guide for you.
Switch ChromeOS Flex to Stable Channel
Before we talk about switching over to the stable version of ChromeOS Flex, you will have to take a backup of all your data. This data can include things like images, audio and video files, and documents. Also, any apps that you might have installed will be removed from the device. In short, the device will be reset to factory settings when you switch ChromeOS Flex to stable.
For this guide, we will be switching from ChromeOS Flex developer version 104 to ChromeOS Flex Stable version 103. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Connect your ChromeOS Flex device to the internet either by using an Ethernet or WiFi connection.
- Tap or click on the app drawer icon at the left of the shelf.
- With the app drawer open, scroll down and select Settings.
- With the Settings app open, select About ChromeOS on the left-hand side of the screen.
- On your right, you will see the update software screen and a few options below it.
- Select Additional Details followed by Change Channel.
- You can now choose from Stable, Beta, and Developer. Choose the Stable option.
- At the bottom, you will see a button that says Change Channel and Powerwash. Click on it.
Download ChromeOS Flex Stable Update
- From the channel page, go back to About ChromeOS.
- The OS that is currently on ChromeOS Flex 104 Dev will now automatically download the latest ChromeOS Flex stable version 103.
- Once the download has been completed, it will ask to perform a powerwash in order to install the stable version of ChromeOS Flex.
- Your device will now reboot and bring you back to the setup screen.
- You will be able to choose the language, and region and also have to sign in with your Google Account.
- Once the setup has been completed, you can now check the Settings page to see that your ChromeOS Flex is now running the latest stable version of the Flex OS.
And this is how you can switch over from the dev channel of ChromeOS Flex to the Stable channel of ChromeOS Flex. The process is rather simple and easy to go through unless you have a lot of files stored on the device, it can take a few extra minutes for you to backup the files to some cloud storage service or transfer them to any other external storage drive. We hope this guide has helped you understand how you can switch ChromeOS flex to stable build.