Samsung started rolling out the latest One UI 5.1.1 update for its foldables and tablets last month. The update first arrived for the Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Galaxy Z Fold 4 models. And later within two weeks more phones in the foldable series received the feature rich update. Galaxy Tab S8 and Tab S7 also got the update early.
It all started with the new foldables, the Galaxy Z Flip 5 and Galaxy Z Fold 5, and the Tab S9 series. These new phones come with One UI 5.1.1 out of the box. Samsung was generous enough to bring some of the common features of these devices to other foldables and tablets with the One UI 5.1.1 update.
The One UI 5.1.1 update for the Galaxy Z Fold 2 is rolling out in the US. Currently it is limited to Sprint and T-Mobile carrier locked models and comes with build number F916USQU4KWH7. It wouldn’t be surprising if it appeared for other carrier locked models and unlocked models soon.
The update comes with August 2023 Android security patch which is same as last security update released in August. If you don’t know One UI 5.1.1 comes with features that are focused to improve productivity and multitasking experience on foldables and tablets.
Galaxy Z Fold 2 One UI 5.1.1 Update
You can check the complete changelog below.
- Better app previews on the Recents screen: The Recents screen now shows apps as they will appear after you open them. You can easily see if an app is opened in split screen, full screen, or as a pop-up.
- Easily switch from pop-up view to split screen: Press and hold the handle at the top of the pop-up window, then drag the app to the side of the screen where you want it to be shown.
- Restore pop-ups snapped to the edge of the screen: Drag an app in pop-up view to the edge of the screen to snap it to the edge and keep it out of the way. When you need it again, tap anywhere on the pop-up to bring it back to its previous location.
- More recent apps: You can now choose how many recently used apps to show on the taskbar (up to 4).
- Easier navigation: When fewer than 8 icons are shown on the taskbar, the navigation area will automatically resize to give you more space for the navigation buttons.
- Use the Flex mode panel with more apps: More apps can now be used with the Flex mode panel. When the Flex mode panel is turned on, just fold your phone upright and tap the button that appears on the navigation bar.
- Improved media controls: Buttons for skipping forward and backward 10 seconds are now available on the Flex mode panel. When you touch the time bar, the time you’ll move to will be shown to help you find the right moment.
- Customize the toolbar: Create your own personal layout to quickly access features like split screen view, screen capture, and more. Touch and hold an icon on the Flex mode panel toolbar to reorder the icons or move icons into or out of the toolbar.
- Share with contacts: You can now send files to your contacts anytime, even if they’re not near you.
- Share files privately: Protect private content when you share it. You can set expiration dates for the files you send, cancel sharing at any time, and prevent recipients from saving or resharing.
- Improved sleep coaching: New coaching content and layouts make it easier to check your progress and build better sleeping habits. (Requires Galaxy Watch4 or newer)
- More meaningful sleep data: Screen layout and explanations have been enhanced to make it easier to check and understand each sleep factor. (Requires Galaxy Watch4 or newer)
- Measure your skin temperature during sleep: See how your skin temperature changes throughout the night to help you create a more comfortable sleep environment. (Requires Galaxy Watch5 or newer)
- Better workout summaries: New workout summaries help you focus on meaningful information from your exercise.
- Stay on track to meet your goals: Rewards, badges, and personal best records have been enhanced to keep you motivated and help you meet your health goals.
Camera and Gallery
- More date and time styles for watermarks: Customize the date and time separately with more style options to get the perfect look for your watermark.
- Enhanced Flex Mode layout for Pro modes: When your phone is folded upright, manual settings for Pro and Pro video modes will appear on the bottom of the screen so you can easily control ISO, shutter speed, and other settings.
- Select multiple pictures in Capture view: While using Capture view on the main screen, you can now press and hold to select multiple pictures. After selecting, you can share or delete them all at once.
- Enhanced remaster previews: Thumbnail images are now shown below the image you’re remastering. Tap a thumbnail to compare the remastered image to the original with a larger view.
- Apply effects more easily: Filter and tone effects in Gallery now use a dial instead of a slider making it easier to make precise adjustments with just one hand.
- Copy and paste effects: You can now copy and paste filters and tones from one picture you’ve edited to another.
- Drag and drop with two hands: Start dragging files, app icons, or other items with one hand, then use your other hand to navigate to the folder or location where you want to drop them. Supported in My Files and the Home screen.
- Continue using your phone while charging another device: Open your phone with the main screen facing down. You can charge your Galaxy Buds, Galaxy Watch, or another device using wireless power sharing on one side. At the same time, you can continue using your phone with the cover screen on the other side.
- Keep storage space available: When you’re running low on space in your internal storage, app cache information will be shown when you analyze storage in My Files. Clearing app caches can help you free up space without deleting files or apps.
- Enhanced memory management in Device care: More information is provided about apps using memory on your phone, giving you the option to put apps to sleep if too much memory is being used.
- Change your mode from the Lock screen: Change between Sleep mode, Driving mode, and other modes directly from the Lock screen.
- Customize your layout in Samsung Internet: When you choose to show the address bar at the bottom of the screen, the tab bar and bookmark bar will also be shown at the bottom.
If you own Galaxy Z Fold 2 and using Sprint or T-Mobile carrier network, you will receive the One UI 5.1.1 update soon. It should be available in other regions and more carrier networks soon. You can check for the update by going to Settings > Software Update > Download and install.
- Samsung releases One UI Watch 5 stable update for Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch 5
- Samsung releases One UI 5.1.1 update for Galaxy Z Flip 3 and Fold 3
- Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra display specs leak months before launch
- How to Take a Screenshot on Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 [with Long Screenshot]