This year’s clamshell foldable, the Galaxy Z Flip 5 has started receiving the Android 14-based One UI 6 update, at least in the US. Recently, a few other Samsung phones including the Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Galaxy A54 have joined the One UI 6 bandwagon. But this is the early stage of the Android 14 rollout which means it is currently available to limited regions and carriers. It will gradually roll out to everyone.
The Android 14 based One UI 6 is rolling out for Galaxy Z Flip 5 Verizon model in the US. It is available with build number UP1A.231005.007.F731USQU1BWK9. Since its a major update, you can expect the update size larger than a GB.
Verizon confirmed the rollout on their support page that include every information related to the latest Android 14 for Galaxy Z Flip 5. With this big Android 14 update, the device get access to so many new features. Along with new features the device also updated to latest November 2023 Android Security Patch.
Now let’s talk about new features and changes. The feature list include every major One UI 6 features like revamped quick panel, new widgets, Bixby text call button, a bunch of camera features, and more. You can check out the complete changelog below.
One UI 6 Changelog
- The Quick Settings layout has been updated to enhance usability.
- A new weather widget was added to provide weather forecasts and insights.
- You can now check the local weather on a map without adding current location.
- Added Bixby text call button to easily switch to text calling. Bixby Text call must be first enabled in Call settings.
- Added separate picture resolution button in Camera quick settings menu. Now you can now easily change picture resolution by tapping the 12M button.
- Added separate video size button in Video quick settings menu. Select Video mode and tap the FHD 30 button at top to show more options.
- Added Custom camera widget to quickly launch Camera with your saved settings. Custom camera can set the camera starting mode and storage path. You can also edit the name for your Custom camera widget using “Title on widget”.
- Added “Swipe up/down to switch cameras” button in Camera settings. This will turn on/off the swipe gesture to switch between selfie and rear cameras.
- Added Details button (i) in Gallery to easily view image information. Optional AI enhancements such as “Remaster” and “Object eraser” are added to the Gallery details page for quick editing.
- Save an image as a sticker. Tap an object in an image, then an options menu will appear > Select Save as sticker. Next time you use Photo Editor, the saved sticker will show in your sticker options from Gallery.
- Added a Document scanning option in Gallery. Select the T button in the bottom right corner to start scanning.
- When you pause a video, you can create a sticker from a single frame of video. Tap an object in the image, then an options menu will appear > select Save as sticker. The next time you use Video Editor, you can add this sticker to your videos.
- Added More menu (3 dots) in the top right corner for easy access. Added AI tools button (first stars editing icon) to quickly use edits/effects.
- Added Straighten and Perspective options to the image rotation menu, so the image angle and horizontal/vertical correction can be performed at the same time.
- Easily tap or draw around any object you want to keep in the picture. Select AI tools > Lasso > tap or draw the object desired.
- Video Editor has be renamed to “Video Studio” and can be easily found in the Gallery Menu tab. Select Go to Studio and add Studio to the app screen for easier access.
- Easily edit the videos on one screen using the quick editing elements: text, stickers, audio, etc.
- Easily create recurring events with repeat recommendations for anniversaries, birthdays and other events.
- Added Schedule view to see a snapshot of events within a period.
- Reminders can now be created directly in Calendar.
- Reminders are now categorized so you can easily view the Reminder by time segment.
Battery and Device Care settings
- Battery and Device Care settings settings are now separated in Settings menu for quicker access.
Security and Privacy Settings
- Added descriptions for each category in Security and Privacy dashboard. Removed Scan button as the information is automatically updated when user opens Security and Privacy settings.
- Auto Blocker menu has been added to block threats and suspicious activities when enabled. Auto Blocker can prevent installation of apps from unauthorized stores, and block commands sent from unauthorized USB connections. When Auto Blocker is enabled, “Messaging app protection” and “Block software updates by USB cable” settings will also be enabled to help protect your phone.
As mentioned earlier, currently the Android 14 update for Galaxy Z Flip 5 is available to Verizon carrier models but it should be available to more users and regions soon. In case you own Galaxy Z Flip 5, you can check for updates manually by going to Settings > Software Update > Download and Install.
Once you receive the update, make sure to take backup of your data and charge your device to at least 50% before installing the update.