Samsung has started rolling out the Android 12L based One UI 4.1.1 update to the Galaxy Tab S8 series. Yes, it is the same software coming with the recently announced Galaxy Z Fold 4. For unawares, the Android 12L upgrade is optimized for large-screen devices such as tablets, foldable, etc. The Galaxy Tab S8 owners can finally upgrade their tablet to the newer One UI 4.1.1 update and try out the new multitasking feature.
Samsung kicks off the new software upgrade with the X70xBXXU2AVH2 firmware version to the vanilla Galaxy Tab S8, X80xBXXU2AVH5 is for the Galaxy Tab S8+, and X90xBXXU2AVH2 for the Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra. At the time of writing, the OTA is available in select regions including Europe and South Korea, wider rollout should follow soon. The new software weighs around 2.3GB in size and tags along with the August security patch.
Moving to the features and changes, then according to the changelog, the upgrade brings a slew of new multitasking features including the ability to switch between apps more quickly, the option to open apps in a split screen, easy switching between pop-view to switch-view, gestures support for view change, apps name are visible in the edge panel now, and more.
Apart from the multitasking features, the Android 12L update on Galaxy Tab S8 brings the anticipated extract text from images feature, new calling options, updated Samsung Keyboard, and other improvements. Here’s the complete changelog you can check before updating your tablet.
- Switch between apps quickly: A taskbar now appears at the bottom of the screen for quicker navigation between apps.
- Quickly open apps in split screen or a pop-up window: Drag apps from the taskbar or Recents screen to open them however is most convenient for you. Drag to the top, bottom, left, or right edge of the screen to open in split screen. Drag to the center of the screen to open in a pop-up.
- Open app pairs quickly: Pair apps that you often use together, then add them to the Home screen or taskbar so you can open them in split screen with just a single tap.
- Easily switch from pop-up view to split screen: When you’re using an app in pop-up view, just tap the split screen button inside the window handle. You’ll be able to choose a second app to open alongside of it.
- Change your view with a gesture: Switch from full screen to split screen view by swiping inward with two fingers from the left side, right side, or bottom of the screen. Switch from full screen to pop-up view by swiping inward with one finger from either corner at the top of the screen. Gestures can be turned on or off in Settings.
- Show app names in the Apps edge panel: Turn on Show app names to make app names appear below the app icons.
- Extract and Scan Text
- Extract text from any image or screen: Extract text using Samsung Keyboard, Internet, Gallery, or whenever you take a screenshot. Paste the result into a message, email, or document instead of typing. Korean, English, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and Chinese text can be extracted.
- Get suggestions based on text in images: When text appears in an image in Gallery, Camera, or other apps, actions will be recommended based on the text. For example, if you take a picture of a sign with a phone number or web address on it, you can tap to call the number or visit the site.
- New Calling Options
- Easily see who’s calling: Set a different call background for each contact so you easily see who’s calling with just a quick glance.
- Video calls with Google Meet: Google Duo has been merged with Google Meet. You can now join 1:1 video calls as well as group video conferences all in one place with Google Meet.
- Express yourself with Samsung Keyboard
- Rearrange expression buttons: Touch and hold the emoji, sticker, and other buttons to rearrange them.
- Enter kaomoji directly from the keyboard: Spice up your chats and texts with preset Japanese-style facial expressions created using keyboard symbols. (^.^)
- More Improvements
- More powerful search in My Files: Choose whether to search all files or only files in the current folder. You can also choose between searching only file names or searching information inside of files, such as text in documents or location information in images. When your search is complete, you can sort the results by name, date, size, or file type.
- Drag and drop bookmarks between folders: Keep your Samsung Internet bookmarks organized by dragging and dropping them between folders.
- Edit your Lock screen wallpaper collection: After selecting a group of images to use for your Lock screen wallpaper, you can easily add or remove images later.
If you own the Galaxy Tab S8, S8+, or S8 Ultra, then you can head over to the Software Upgrade section in the Settings and check for the new updates, if there’s a new upgrade available you can install it on your tablet or wait for a few days.
- How to Take a Screenshot on Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 (with Long Screenshot)
- Samsung releases second One UI 5.0 Beta for Galaxy S22
- One UI 5.0 Features, Roadmap, Eligible Phones, and more
- A YouTuber turned Galaxy Z Fold 4 into a Windows Phone
- When will your Samsung Galaxy get Android 13?