Samsung has recently announced its mid-range phones Galaxy M10 and Galaxy M20. Out of these two, Galaxy M20 is the superior and a good value for money. TWRP for Galaxy M20 is now available, it means you can now root Galaxy M20. Here I will guide you to Root Samsung Galaxy M20 with TWRP & Magisk.
Last Updated on 08/07/2019 @ 18:10 PM IST – Samsung Galaxy M20 Root Guide updated for Android Pie 9.0 update as well. Yes, it works after updating to the One UI based Pie.
All thanks to the XDA’s Recognized developer DarkLord1731 for providing an early build on unofficial TWRP Recovery. So if you want to Root Samsung M20 or want to try new custom ROMs then you have to first Install TWRP Recovery. Don’t worry if you don’t know how to install TWRP Recovery, I will explain everything in brief. But before that here are some details about the phone that you may like.
Samsung Galaxy M20 – Details
The phone features a 6.3-inch infinity-V display of FHD+ (1080×2340 pixels) Resolution. It runs on Android 8.1 based on Experience UI 9.5 out of the box. Galaxy M20 is powered with Exynos 7904 Octa-Core processor. It is coupled with 3/4 GB RAM with 32/64 GB of Internal storage respectively.
On the Camera side, it has dual camera setup at back with a 13-megapixel sensor and a 5-megapixel sensor. The back camera is able to record 1080p videos at 30fps. At the front, it has an 8-megapixel selfie camera which can record 1080p videos at 30fps. Galaxy M20 boasts a massive 5000mAh battery.
Rooting is possible in just two steps if the bootloader is unlocked on your phone. Nowadays Samsung devices come with RMM locked which you have to unlock first, consider RMM as a bootloader for Samsung.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy M20
Rooting your phone will give you more control over your phone. You can do any type of modifications if you have knowledge about it. So let’s begin with Installing TWRP Recovery on Galaxy M20.
- Make sure your phone isn’t RMM locked
- After Installing TWRP you cannot use Knox TZ features
- Take a full Nandroid Backup of your phone
- Odin Flash Tool
- Samsung USB Drivers
- TWRP.tar (for Galaxy M20)
- Latest Magisk Zip & APK
- no-verity-opt-encrypt zip
- RMM Bypass Zip
Steps to Install TWRP on Galaxy M20
- Copy Magisk Zip, Magisk Manager APK, no-verity-op-encrypt and RMM Bypass zip on MicroSD card or an external drive which can be accessed by phone.
- In Galaxy M20 Open Settings and go to About Phone > Software info and tap continuously on “Build Number” until it says you are now a developer.
- Now In Settings go to Developer Options and enable OEM Unlock. If RMM is locked you will not see OEM Unlock option.
- Turn off your phone completely.
- Connect the phone to PC via USB.
- Boot the phone into Download Mode, to do so press & hold power + Vol up + Vol down.
- In PC extract the downloaded Odin Zip file and open Odin.exe.
- In Odin switch to the Options tab and untick Auto Reboot.
- Click on AP and locate the TWRP-Galaxy-M20.tar file.
- Now click on Start.
- After flashing TWRP recovery it will return Pass message.
- Press & Hold Power + Vol down button to turn of the phone.
- After turning off the phone boot into TWRP Recovery (press & hold Power + Vol Up button).
- In TWRP Recovery go to Wipe > Format Data and type ‘yes’ and tap enter. It is required to decrypt data partition.
- Go back to TWRP home and tap Reboot > Recovery.
- Now to flash files tap on Install and first locate “no-varity-opt-encrypt.zip” and flash it.
- Again go to Install and locate “RMM Bypass” and flash it.
- Now you can Reboot to the System.
Once you have installed the TWRP Recovery, you can now Root the Phone using Magisk Zip. Check out the next guide if you don’t know how to install Magisk and Root phone.
Install Magisk & Root Galaxy M20
So there you have it the guide to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy M20 and Root Galaxy M20. I hope you have successfully rooted your phone without any problem. But if you still have any queries you can write your comment and we will reply back. You can also reach to our facebook page to ask queries.
Still any questions in mind? Let’s take a dig at the FAQ!
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy M20?
At first, Flash the image file using TWRP Recovery. Then, Install Magisk.zip. Reboot your Samsung M20 in Recovery mode. Now, locate and install Magisk.zip and reboot your smartphone. That’s it.
Can I Root Samsung Galaxy M20 without PC?
Yes, you can easily root your Galaxy M20 without PC, by using Magisk.
What is the Easiest & Safest Method to Root Samsung Galaxy M20?
The best method to root the Samsung Galaxy M20 is the Magisk which is a convenient method for systemless root. You can install the Magisk using a custom recovery or using Magisk patched boot image.
Is Custom Recovery required to root the Samsung Galaxy M20?
Yes, you would need to install the TWRP Recovery first on your Samsung Galaxy M20, then you can root your smartphone.