Here we are going to share two different methods to root Redmi K20 with Magisk. You can root your K20 using TWRP or without using TWRP, it depends on you. In some regions, the Redmi K20 also launched with the name Mi 9T so this guide will also work to root Mi 9T. Although we are going to write a separate guide for it, so keep tracking our guides.
Redmi K20 is a powerful pack smartphone with flagship level design like Pop-up camera and gradient finish. The performance of the phone is really good and up to mark. And rooting it will definitely going to boost the performance by some manual optimization. Along with major advantages rooting also has some disadvantage so if you don’t know about it then do not root your phone. Before checking out the process to root Redmi K20 first check out its Specs details.
Redmi K20 – Details
The phone has a big 6.39-inch FHD+ (1080x2340p) AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection on top. K20 runs on Android Pie based on MIUI 10 out of the box. The device is powered with efficient Qualcomm Snapdragon 730 processor which comes with integrated Adreno 618 GPU. It is coupled with 6GB / 8GB RAM option and 64GB / 128GB / 256GB storage options.
Redmi K20 also has a good camera setup at back as well as front (the pop-up camera). The Rear setup includes 48MP + 8MP + 13MP sensors for realistic photos. At front, the phone has a pop-up camera of a 20-megapixel sensor. K20 boasts a 4000mAh battery and it supports fast charging.
How to Root Redmi K20
There is more than one way to root Redmi K20 with or without TWRP Recovery. Specifically, we are going to use Magisk Patched boot image in the first method and TWRP & Magisk on the second method. Let’s start with the pre-requirements & downloads which will be used in both methods.
- Take a full backup of data (To restore the data if it lost)
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on PC
- Magisk Zip & Magisk Manager APK
- Platform Tools
- Firmware for K20 (Same version that installed on phone is preferred)
Root Redmi K20 with Magisk Patched Boot Image
- Extract the firmware and look for boot.img file in the folder.
- Copy the boot.img file to phone storage.
- Install latest Magisk Manager App on your Redmi K20.
- Open the App and click on Install > Install.
- Now you need to choose the method so choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ and locate the boot.img file.
- It will patch the boot image and save the output to the Download folder with the name Magisk_patched.img.
- Extract the Platform tools file on the PC and open the folder.
- Transfer the Magisk_patched.image file to Platform tools folder and rename the file to boot.img.
- Turn off your phone and then long press Volume Down + Power button together to boot the phone into Fastboot Mode.
- Connect your phone to PC. And in platform tools folder press Shift + Right-click on an empty area and select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open Command window here’.
- In Command/PowerShell window enter the below command to flash patched boot image to root Redmi K20
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Now your phone is rooted. Just reboot to system, open Magisk manager App and complete the instructions appears in the App.
So this is one method to root Redmi K20 without TWRP so if you don’t want to install TWRP then this method is for you. But if you already installed the TWRP Recovery or any other custom recovery then rooting is easier. Just follow the below method if the phone has a custom recovery.
Root Redmi K20 using TWRP Recovery
- Make sure the TWRP or another custom recovery is installed on your phone (Follow this guide if not installed).
- Download the Magisk zip file and place it in phone storage.
- Turn off your phone and long press Volume Up + Power button together to boot the phone into TWRP Recovery.
- In TWRP, go to Install and locate the Magisk zip file.
- Then flash the file which will root your Redmi K20.
- After flashing the Magisk reboot the device into the system.
- Install the Magisk Manager APK if not installed already.
- That’s it, enjoy the rooted phone.
Now you will have the full access to system files it means you can change or edit build.prop file to tweak the system. Rooting also help in taking full backup including data and removing preinstalled useless apps. So this is it in the how to root Redmi K20 guide. Enjoy the advantages of root.