Are you looking for a guide to root your Zenfone Max Pro M2? If yes here is the detailed guide on How to Root Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 using TWRP & Magisk.
TWRP Recovery official & unofficial build is now available and it means you can root your Max Pro M2 with ease. But before that, you have to take care of a few things like unlocking bootloader and installing a custom recovery. Let’s first see the specifications of Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2.
Max Pro M2 is of the best mid-range phones which just released in December 2018. The phone is powered by Snapdragon 660 SoC and 3/4/6 GB RAM options. It runs on Stock UI based on Android 8.1 OS. It comes with a 6.26-inch full HD+ Display with Corning Gorilla Glass 6 on top. Talking about cameras it has 12+5 MP dual rear camera and 13MP front Camera. To power up the device for long time the device is loaded with 5000mAh battery.
Update: Official TWRP Recovery for Asus ZenFone Max Pro M2 is now available.
How to Root Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2
As I mentioned earlier that to root the Phone first we have to unlock bootloader and then we need to install a Custom Recovery. So let’s begin with Prerequisite.
- Take a full device backup (unlocking bootloader will erase all data)
- Charge the device at least 40%
- PC, Max Pro M2, and a USB Cable is required
- Download the required files
Unlock Bootloader on Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2
Due to security reasons, Google introduced the bootloader a while ago. Out of the box, you will receive the phone with bootloader locked (unless you are buying an unlocked one). So this is a basic step required to root any Android device. But you don’t have to worry because the steps are simple and time-saving. This will void the warranty of your phone, but you can relock the bootloader whenever you want to recover warranty.
Note: You can skip this step if the bootloader is unlocked on your device.
- At first, go to Settings > System > About Phone.
- Tap on Build Number continuously until it says you are now a developer.
- Go back to Settings > System.
- Now go to Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- Download and Install ADB & Fastboot Driver on Windows (use the link given above).
- Download Unlock Bootloader file and Extract it.
- Connect the phone with PC via USB.
- Open Unlock Bootloader folder and press Shift + Right Click on an empty area and click on “Open Powershell window here” or “Open Command window here”.
- Enter the following code on Powershell or CMD:
- A prompt will appear on Phone, tap on “always allow debugging from this computer”
- Now enter the following code:
adb reboot bootloader
- The device will boot into fastboot mode
- To check the device is connected in fastboot mode enter command:
- This will show an ID means your device is in fastboot and connected to PC
- Now Open Unlock.cmd (for Windows) or unlock.sh (for Mac) from Unlock Bootloader file (Do not disconnect the phone).
- Wait for automatic Reboot (it will reboot 2-3 times).
That’s it! you have successfully unlocked the bootloader on Max Pro M2. Now you can Install TWRP Recovery and Root Max Pro M2.
Install TWRP Recovery and Root Asus Zenfone MaxPro M2
The second step after unlocking bootloader is installing a custom recovery and then root Max Pro M2. Here we are going to use TWRP Recovery. It’s an unofficial build and when an official will release we will update it.
- Download and Install ADB & Fastboot Driver from the link given in Download section (skip if already done).
- Enable USB Debugging in Developer options.
- Completely Turn off the Device.
- Boot into fastboot mode (press and hold Vol up + power button).
- Connect the Phone with PC via USB.
- Download TWRP image, Platform Tool, Magisk Zip, Decrypt Zip and Place on Desktop.
- Extract Platform tool.zip and open it and also copy the TWRP image on platform tool folder.
- In Platform tool folder press shift + Right-click and click on “Open Powershell window here” or “Open Command window here”.
- To check the device is connected enter the following command:
- The command will return an ID, it means your device is connected.
- Install TWRP recovery on Max Pro M2 by entering the following command:
fastboot flash recovery <recovery name>.img
- Do not enter the bracket it’s for representation. And also use the original recovery name (copied in platform tool folder) in place of recovery name.
- Now boot into recovery, use the following command:
fastboot reboot recovery
- This command will boot the device into TWRP recovery. On first boot up in recovery it will ask for a password, just cancel it.
- In TWRP go to Wipe > Format data and type yes to confirm it.
- Go back to TWRP home and go to Mount and click on Enable MTP. Also, check System and Vendor in partition option.
- In PC copy the decrypt.zip & Magisk zip and paste in Device internal storage.
- Now in TWRP go to Install and locate decrypt.zip and swipe to confirm install.
- Similarly, install the Magisk.zip to Root the Max Pro M2.
- At last tap on wipe cache/dalvik and then tap on Reboot system.
Your Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 is now rooted successfully. Now you can try custom ROM’s, themes and many other customizations. This process is a bit tough than the usual one because of the unofficial TWRP recovery but when the official TWRP will available it is going to be easier. So I will suggest to the user who has no experience in rooting should wait for the TWRP official build.
- How to Root Poco F1 and Install TWRP Recovery [No Data Loss]
- How to Root Xiaomi Mi A2/A2 Lite Using Magisk [Guide]
- Download Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 Stock Wallpapers [FHD+]
- How to Root Samsung S9/S9 Plus [Snapdragon & Exynos]
I hope this guide is helpful to you and now you can use the advantages of rooting.