Android Oreo is probably the most anticipated Android version till date, owing all to its hefty new features. The major OS update was launched back in August 2017. Ever since its release, OEMs, and third-party developers have been beating the hours off to bring the newest Android version to various devices. If you have installed the update already, then go through this tutorial How to Root Android phone or How to Root Android Oreo Smartphone with SuperSU or Magisk.
Oreo is a host for promising new features like Background Limits, Autofill framework, Picture-in-Picture mode, Notification Dots, Instant apps, and more. The list can go long, but if you have already installed it on your device, you will know better. The new update also improves total boot time while powering up the device. It introduces ‘Google Play Protect’ to regulate your device’s integrity when it comes to the apps. To know more about the features, refer to our article.
Google pushed Oreo to its supported Pixel and Nexus devices right after the announcement. By the help of this free tutorial, you can easily Root Google Pixel 2 xl oreo 8.1.0.
Respective manufacturers have also started working on the release, starting from their flagship handsets. On the other hand, ROM developers at online communities like XDA have also successfully compiled AOSP-based ROMs for multiple OEM devices. The amount of devices running Oreo is increasing daily, and so is the desire of users to root it.
How to Root Android Oreo with SuperSU or Magisk
According to the standard protocol, once a major Android version is released, users and developers dive deep into finding an effective root method for it. The estimated time of arrival for a working root method could take a few hours to even days, but happy to say that it was quick for Oreo. The two most renowned root solutions have added the required support. So users can pick up from available methods and Root Android Oreo smartphone with ease.
You might have updated using the official OTA or unofficially flashed a custom ROM like LineageOS 15.1 or Pixel Experience. The instructions below will work correctly, regardless of how you installed Android Oreo.
Before you even get to the instructions, here’s a short list of some significant benefits of rooting your device running Android Oreo.
- Remove pre-installed apps or bloatware from your device.
- Efficiently block ads in browsers and apps.
- Use apps that require root.
- Add third-party features or install mods like Xposed Framework or ViPER4Android.
- Enhance performance and speed of your device.
- And many other Tweaks and features.
Well, there’s a lot more than you can do. So without any ado, go ahead and follow the instructions to root Android Oreo with SuperSU or Magisk.
Before you proceed towards instructions, make sure to take care of the following things.
- Make sure to unlock the bootloader on your device first. This is the first and foremost requirement of rooting any Android.
- To avoid any data loss situation while conducting the rooting procedure, take a complete backup of your phone.
- Charge your Android Oreo smartphone to a sufficient battery level to prevent any shutdowns during the process.
- Make sure that you have installed TWRP recovery on your phone. If not, then download the recovery image from here and use the following command to flash it.
- fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
How to Root Android Oreo with SuperSU (1st Method)
SuperSU is one of the most effective and plain root solution for Android devices. Apart from rooting, you can also use a companion mod (suhide) to hide root from security and bank applications.
- Download SuperSU flashable root zip.
- If you have downloaded the file to your PC, then connect your phone to the PC in MTP/File Storage mode.
- Transfer the root zip to the phone’s storage or SD card.
- Once copied, disconnect the device.
- Power down your Android phone.
- No boot into TWRP recovery mode using the unique buttons combination or by entering the following in the command-line tool:
adb reboot recovery
- Once your device enters into TWRP, tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the location where you copied the file during the initial steps.
- Select the SuperSU root zip (e.g. SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip).
- Swipe the ‘Swipe to confirm flash‘ button to root Android Oreo using SuperSU.
- The flashing process will be complete in a matter of seconds.
- Once finished, hit the ‘Reboot System‘ button.
Using the above steps, you will be able to easily root Android Oreo smartphone. You instantly start using root-enabled applications like Titanium Backup.
How to Root Android Oreo with Magisk (2nd Method)
Likewise, if you want to Root Android Oreo with Magisk, then follow the brief instructions below.
- Download the latest Magisk installer zip: Link
- Once downloaded, transfer the file to your phone’s internal storage or SD card.
- Turn off your device and boot into TWRP recovery mode using the dedicated buttons combination.
- Tap on the ‘Install‘ button from the TWRP main screen.
- Browse the phone’s storage and select the Magisk root zip (e.g. Magisk-v15.3.zip).
- Swipe the button at the bottom of the screen to start the flashing process.
- When complete, tap on ‘Reboot System’ button.
- Once you have been able to root Android Oreo with Magisk, it is important to update the Magisk Manager to the latest version.
- So, download the latest Magisk Manager APK on your device.
- Next, use your favorite file manager to install the APK.
- Once installed, reboot your device and done!
When your device boots, you will be able to use any root applications or even install some renowned mods like Xposed Framework, ViPER4Android, and Dolby Atmos. To confirm that your device was successfully rooted, download the Root Checker app on your phone and run it.
If you ever feel the need to unroot, you can simply open the official companion app of SuperSU or Magisk, and press the ‘Full Unroot’ or ‘Uninstall’ button, respectively.
I hope you enjoyed this article. In case, if you have any problem or query on how to root Android oreo 8.0 phone, feel free to drop a comment below. We shall provide the best level of assistance to you.