Google Keep is a service from Google for taking notes and it is available for Android, iOS, and Web. But it is mostly used on phones as you can directly access your notes from the Keep app. Using an app for taking notes is what everyone wants as it is accessible with one tap. But sometimes we also end up deleting wrong notes and later we want to recover it. So here we are with a guide on how to recover deleted notes on Keep. We will also share how to take backup of Google Keep Notes.
Google Keep is popular and easily transferable from one phone to another phone. You only need to sign in with your Google Account and it will sync your data to your Keep Notes. As now most devices come with new gesture animation, Google Keep also added support for these new gestures. But there is one problem: to go back we swipe left or right. And unfortunately, the same gesture is also used to archive any notes in Google Keep. So, it is common that you may end up archiving any personal notes from your Google Keep. Don’t get alarmed if this happens as the notes are still in your App.
Sometimes we also end up deleting a wrong note in Keep either from the Web or an App. And in that case, the notes are transferred to Trash. Remember that as per Security reasons, notes in Trash will be deleted permanently after 7 days. And you will not be able to recover those notes.
So, if you end up archiving or deleting your Notes, you can get them back. To recover deleted or archived Keep Notes, you can use this guide. Yes, you can simply recover your deleted Keep Notes. Thanks to the Archive feature on Google Keep. It is different from the trash option which is also available on Google Keep. So, let’s dive into the detailed steps.
How to Recover Deleted Notes from Google Keep
Archive and Trash are different options in Google Keep. Although the deleted files are not stored in Archive, it keeps files hidden from the main screen. I will split the guide for Archive and Delete function for better understanding.
Recover Keep Notes from Archive
Archive is an option that stores and keeps your Notes hidden from the main screen of the Keep app. The shortcut to keep notes in Archive is swiping any Notes to left or right. Or you can also use the Archive icon which will be in there in every notes in Keep. In case you are not aware of how to shift Notes from Archive to the main screen, you can follow the steps below.
- Open your Google Keep notes on Android, iOS, or Web.
- Click on three bars on the top left corner.
- Now go to the Archive option from the list.
- You will find an Unarchive icon in all of your Notes in the Archive section. You can click on this icon to unarchive notes one by one or you can also select all notes to unarchive at once.
- Now, these notes will appear on your main screen in Google Keep app.
Recover Deleted Notes from Trash in Google Keep
As we mentioned earlier, if you delete any Notes in Google Keep, it will move to trash and it will be there for the next 7 days. So, at that time, you have the option to recover your Notes easily. But once it is deleted from Trash after 7 days, you won’t be able to recover it. Let’s check how you can recover deleted files from Google Keep.
- Open Google Keep app or service on the Web.
- Click on the three bars on the top left to open the Menu.
- Now go to the Trash option.
- It will show the list of Notes deleted recently. Open a Note that you want to recover and click on Restore.
- Now it will move from Trash to the main screen in Keep Notes.
That’s it, this way you can still recover any recently deleted Notes. It comes in handy if you delete any Notes by mistake. There is no official method that we are aware of which allows users to recover permanently deleted Notes from Google Keep. But to avoid ending up in this situation you can back up your Notes.
How to Take Backup of Google Keep Notes
If you want to take backup to avoid hustle if you lose a Note, then you can follow this method. Fortunately, Google offers to take backup of data from any of their Google Services including Google Keep. It is easy and reliable. So, if you want to take a complete backup of your Notes from Google Keep, just follow the steps given below.
- Open Google Takeout on your Web. Login with the same id that you are using to store Notes in Google Keep.
- Now in Google Takeout click on Deselect All which will be under ‘Create a new Export’.
- Scroll down and select Google Keep from the list.
- Then scroll down to the last and click on Next Step.
- Now in the next step select your preferred frequency, File Type, and Size (you can leave it default).
- Next click on Create Export.
- Then Google will start creating an export file of your Google Keep. Stay on that page for a few minutes and check back when you get an email that Export is ready.
- Now download the Export file from the Google Takeout page. You can also use the link in Mail to download the Export.
- It will download a compressed file that you can extract to access your Notes. Open Notes on your browser and it will display the content of your Note.
That’s it, it is an easy and quick way to create a full backup of Google Keep. This way you don’t have to worry about losing your Google Keep Notes as you can always get it back from the backup.
So, that’s all on how to recover deleted Google Keep Notes and how to backup Google Keep Notes. I hope you find the guide helpful. If you found it helpful share the guide with your friends and family who use Google Keep. And in case of any queries, let us know in the comment section below.