As always, OnePlus is lagging behind in the race for major Android updates. So far, only the OnePlus 9 series has received the stable Android 12 update. While other OnePlus phones are still on the waiting list. OnePlus 8 Pro and OnePlus 8T are in line to receive Android 12 as both the phones get the first open beta of OxygenOS 12. Let’s see what’s in OxygenOS 12 open beta 1 for the OnePlus 8/8 Pro and OnePlus 8T.
In case you are not aware of the OnePlus testing process, OEM releases closed beta first and then open beta and stable builds. OxygenOS 12 closed beta for both the OnePlus 8 series and 8T was released in November last year. And with the release of Open Beta, we can say that OxygenOS 12 stable build update is near.
As usual, both the OnePlus 8 series and the OnePlus 8T have similar changes and features. Along with the open beta announcement, OnePlus also shared the full changelog which you can see below.
OnePlus 8 OxygenOS 12 Open Beta 1 Changelog
- Optimized desktop icons with improved textures, by using a design inspired by brand-new materials and uniting lights and layers
- Dark mode now supports three adjustable levels, bringing a more personalized and comfortable user experience
- New additional style options for Cards, making data contents more visual and easier to read
- Newly added Earphone Control Card with Bluetooth earphone one-click adjustment
- Newly added access to OnePlus Scout in Shelf, allowing you to search multiple contents on your phone, including Apps, Settings, Media Data, etc
- Newly added OnePlus Watch Card in Shelf, to easily glance at your health stats
Work Life Balance
- Work Life Balance feature is now available to all users, allowing you to effortlessly switch between Work and Life mode via quick settings
- WLB 2.0 now supports automatic Work/Life mode switching, based on specific locations, Wi-Fi network, and time, also bringing customized App notification profiles according to the personalization
- Gallery now allows you to switch between different layouts with a two-finger pinch gesture, intelligently recognizing the best-quality pictures, and cropping the thumbnail based on the content, making the gallery layout more pleasing
- Canvas AOD brings you new diverse styles of lines and colors, for a more personalized lock screen experience with inspiring visuals
- Newly added multiple brushes and strokes and support for color adjustment
- Optimized software algorithm and improved face recognition to better identify the features and skin color of different figures
Since it is an Open Beta, there can be some bugs or issues. There are two known issues shared by OnePlus.
- Some third-party apps haven’t been adapted to the latest Android version and may not function properly
- The clock might be missing the dial display when the AOD feature is on
As it is Open Beta, anyone with the OnePlus 8, OnePlus 8 Pro, or the OnePlus 8T can install it on their phone. The good thing is installing Open Beta doesn’t wipe data. However, you need to know that switching to the Stable build requires formatting your phone. Now if you are interested you can install it using the ROM zip package. Before installing make sure to take a full backup.
- Download the latest ROM upgrade zip package from here (OnePlus 8 Series, OnePlus 8T).
- Now copy the ROM upgrade package to the phone storage (outside of every folder).
- On your phone, go to Settings > System > System Updates > Click gear icon on top right > Local upgrade.
- Select the ROM upgrade zip package > upgrade.
- Wait for the upgrade process. After the upgrade is complete, Restart your phone and enjoy Android 12 based OxygenOS 12.
Now if you are using the OxygenOS 12 closed beta, then the installation process is different. You need to use the apk file. Install the app and choose to upgrade in the app (you have to rename the apk to remove .zip from it). In the app click on three dots and select local upgrade. Now follow the process from step 4.