Microsoft has finally released the much-awaited Android 11 update for the original Surface Duo foldable. The phone was announced with Android 10 OS out-of-the-box. In September last year, Microsoft said that Android 11 would arrive before the end of 2021, but it got delayed. Microsoft took too much time to give a major upgrade to the Surface Duo, but better late than never, right? Read along to know more about the Surface Duo Android 11 update.
Microsoft has officially confirmed the rollout through its support page. And the details reveal the 2021.1027.156 software version for Android 11 OTA. It is seeding with January 2022 monthly security patch and measures 2.38GB in size. The company also mentions that an update is available for unlocked variants in North America and Europe, while the testing is still underway for the locked or unlocked AT&T Surface Duo, will be available very soon.
Moving to the features and changes, then the update is seeding with a big list of new features and improvements. The update brings a feature to answer the calls when folded, optimized quick settings and notification panel for both portrait and landscape orientations, volume controller option in Quick Settings, updated app drawer, and more. Here’s the complete changelog of update.
- Upgrades the Android operating system to Android 11. For more information about Android 11, see Android 11.
- Addresses scenarios outlined in the Android Security Bulletin—January 2022.
- New Surface Duo features
- Enabled launching of OneNote when clicking the top button on Surface Slim Pen 2. It requires Surface Slim Pen 2 to be paired with Surface Duo.
- Enabled in Surface Duo features, in Settings, to choose preference for answering phone calls when folded.
- Enabled in Surface Duo features, in Settings, to choose specific apps to automatically span across both screens when you open them.
- Optimized Quick Settings and notification width for portrait and landscape orientations.
- Adjust media volume directly from Quick Settings in any device mode.
- Use thumb mode in Microsoft SwiftKey now with all device modes and application states.
- Updated app drawer and folder design with improved drag-and-drop support.
- Refreshed Microsoft feed design with updated cards and new Microsoft Start widgets for News and Weather.
- Photos by OneDrive: New dual-screen enhanced experience for viewing and editing photos in the OneDrive app.
- Xbox Game Pass: Discovery and play games from the cloud with an on-screen controller. Some devices, accessories, and software sold separately. Additional fees and/or subscriptions required for some apps and features.
- Send feedback to Microsoft by opening Settings, then tap About, then tap Give feedback to Microsoft.
If you’re using the original Surface Duo, then you can head over to the System Updates and download the new update.
- Download Microsoft Surface Duo 2 Wallpapers
- Download Windows 11 Wallpapers
- Microsoft Surface Laptop Go Wallpapers are now available