This week is an interesting week for tech fans. After the big launch event from Apple, Microsoft now brings two new Windows 11 Insider Preview builds to Insiders in the Dev channel and Canary Channel.
The new Windows 11 22H2 Dev channel beta comes with build number 23545 whereas the Windows 11 22H2 Canary channel beta comes with build number 25951. And Microsoft also releases ISOs for both these beta builds for manual installation and study.
Windows 11 Preview Build 25951
In the latest update for Canary channel, there are some improvements related to the Windows security. SMB client now supports blocking NTLM for remote outbound connections, and SMB server now supports controlling which SMB 2 and 3 dialects it will negotiate. There is also lock screen improvement you can check below.
Changes and Improvements
- We’ve adjusted the network flyout on the Lock screen to better match the UI of the network flyout from quick settings in system tray on the taskbar.
- Some popular games may not work correctly on the most recent Insider Preview builds in the Canary Channel. Please be sure to submit feedback in Feedback Hub on any issues you see with playing games on these builds.
- [NEW] We’re investigating reports that the print queue is no longer accessible.
Windows 11 Build 23545
Changes and Improvements
[Search on the Taskbar]
- Instead of providing a hover experience that opens the search box on the taskbar, we are trying out some different experiences for when you click on the search highlight gleam in the search box instead. In some cases, clicking on the gleam will take you to a Bing.com page for the search highlight. A tooltip will always be shown for the search highlight gleam when hovering over the search box. As a reminder, we regularly try out different concepts and get feedback with Insiders in the Dev Channel.
- We’re beginning to roll out the ability to quickly give your device a more friendly name to identify sharing to and from with nearby share under Settings > System > Nearby sharing.
- We’re also rolling out the ability to see Microsoft Teams (work or school) contacts and to send files to them directly within the built-in Windows share window if you’re signed in with an Entra ID (AAD) account.
- Fixed an issue which could cause explorer.exe to crash when closing File Explorer.
- Fixed an issue where when switching between dark and light mode (or a contrast theme) File Explorer’s address bar, command bar, and context menu could get stuck in the wrong colors, making it difficult to see.
- Fixed an issue where if you launched File Explorer in dark theme you could see a bright white flash as content loaded.
- Fixed an issue where rapidly opening two File Explorer windows might make explorer.exe crash.
- Made a few more fixes to help improve File Explorer launch performance, including fixing a leak which would impact performance over time.
- Fixed an issue which could make explorer.exe crash when navigating away from Home.
- Fixed an issue where trying to open Gallery after new images had been added might result in a crash.
- Fixed an issue where the progress wheel in the tab would get stuck showing that File Explorer was loading a folder when the loading had actually already finished.
- Fixed an issue where File Explorer sorting changes wouldn’t persist in folders after you navigated away and back.
- Fixed an issue which could cause the icons in File Explorer tabs to be incorrect.
- Fixed an issue which was causing icons on the desktop to turn into white generic icons until you refreshed the desktop.
- Fixed a high hitting explorer.exe crash in the latest builds impacting taskbar reliability.
[Search on the Taskbar]
- Fixed an issue that was causing search to not launch sometimes in the latest Dev Channel builds.
- We fixed the issue causing Unicode Emoji 15support which began rolling out with Build 23475 and the updated color font format with COLRv1 support that began rolling out with Build 23506 to no longer appear. These experiences should again be working with this build.
- Did some work to help address an issue that could cause the Japanese and Chinese IME candidate windows to not appear after using connected standby, due to a crash.
- Fixed a high hitting tabtip.exe crash that may have impacted the ability to type in the last couple flights.
- Fixed an issue where Settings wasn’t launching in safe mode for some Insiders.
- Fixed an issue where trying to take window mode screenshots was taking screenshots of the entire screen instead of the app in focus for some Insiders.
The new builds are available to users in the Dev channel and Canary channel. So if you are part of any of the two channels, you will receive the build releasing to your choice of channel. To check for update go to Settings > Windows Update.