LG is delivering on what it promised while exiting the smartphone market. And so far LG has done a great job of keeping LG devices alive by rolling out software updates from time to time. Yes, it takes time for LG to deliver software updates for some regions, but the company is nailing it in mainland South Korea. The LG G8 ThinQ is getting the stable Android 12 update. If you are an LG G8 user in South Korea, you are about to experience new Android 12 features. Let’s take a look at everything about the LG G8 ThinQ Android 12 update.
LG G8 is a phone launched in 2019 with Android 9 OS. LG then rolled out two major updates Android 10 and Android 11 for LG G8. And so Android 12 is the third major update for LG G8 ThinQ and probably the last major update as well. But for a company that is no longer in the smartphone business, this is amazing. Even some active OEMs are not able to match LG in software updates. This month LG also released three incremental updates for LG phones in South Korea.
The Android 12 is rolling out for the LG G8 model LM-G820N in South Korea. It will be available in other regions soon. But as of now, we don’t have any idea when exactly it will be available. The LG G8 ThinQ Android 12 is rolling out with different software versions depending on the mobile operator. G820N40b (LG U+), G820N40b (KT), G820N40b (SKT), G820NO40b (Self-supplied).
Now as the Android 12 is a major upgrade for LG G8 ThinQ, you can expect some new features and changes including a security patch upgrade. You can check the translated changelog below.
LG G8 Android 12 Changelog
- Android 12 OS has been applied.
- A function to restrict/allow camera/microphone use has been added to protect personal information.
- For privacy protection, a green icon is displayed at the top of the screen while the camera/microphone is in use.
- Added ability to choose between exact location or approximate location when allowing the app to determine the location of your device.
- A shortcut icon for IoT device control has been added to the notification window.
- When using security lock, a function has been added to lock the phone by pressing and holding the power button and selecting the lock icon on the screen.
- A function has been added to release the permissions of apps that have not been used for a certain period of time and to free up space by deleting temporary files.
- Added safety and emergency menus to settings.
- Due to Google’s policy change, the function to connect mobile data and Wi-Fi at the same time is not supported.
As some users already received the Android 12 update on their LG G8, we checked some feedback. And it looks like users are impressed with LG’s effort. Yes, there are some minor bugs that you might see in the latest update. Don’t expect a big UI change in the Android 12 update.
Android 12 for LG G8 is rolling out in batches, this means the update will be rolled out to groups of users in a couple of weeks. You can manually check for the update from Software Update in Settings. If you don’t want to wait, then you can use the LG Bridge tool to update your phone manually using a PC. The update size is around 1.3GB so make sure there is enough free space on your device.
Don’t forget to take a backup of your phone and charge it to 50% before upgrading to Android 12.
- LG TV Channels List, Plans, Supported Devices, and more
- Revisiting the LG days with LG K50, Q52 and Q60 Wallpapers
- LG G8x ThinQ is getting Stable Android 12 Update