The fourth beta of iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 is now live for developers and will soon be available to public beta testers (available now). The new beta is available exactly three weeks after the release of the third beta. But in these three weeks we also got an iOS 16 public beta, two iOS 15.6 RC builds, and iOS 15.6 public build. If you are one of the iOS 16 developer beta testers, you can upgrade to the new beta now. Let’s find out what’s new in iOS 16 beta 4.
Update (July 28): iOS 16 Public Beta 2 released with the same build number and changes.
iOS 16 was announced at the WWDC event. And some features that were mentioned in the event are still not available in iOS 16. Also, there will be several beta updates before the release of the iOS 16 public beta. So we can expect some new features and changes in the next few iOS 16 beta builds. With that said, the iOS 16 beta 4 also comes with new features that you will know about in the features section.
Along with iOS 16 Beta 4 and iPadOS 16 Beta 4, Apple also released macOS 13 Ventura Beta 4, tvOS 16 Beta 4, and HomePodOS 16 Beta 4. As of now, the watchOS 9 Beta 4 is not available. Apple might release it with the public beta or maybe in the next beta build. Both iOS 16 Beta 4 and iPadOS 16 Beta 4 come with build number 20A5328h. ‘h’ at the end of the build number means the iOS 16 beta journey is going to be long.
As I mentioned earlier, the update comes with some changes, new features, and improvements. Below you can check most of the changes detected in the iOS 16 Beta 4.
- New modem update 2.08.01 (update from 2.07.00)
- Activity Kit released for developers that will allow them to add Lockscreen Live Activity features on their apps
- iMessage unsend time limit changed to 2 minutes and limit of 5 edits in a message. Receivers can see all the edit history
- News wallpapers in the Home app and CarPlay
- Subscription option removed from App Store profile and only available in iCloud
- The lock screen wallpaper customization menu now shows labels for explanation
- Clock widgets names changed to City Analog and City Digital in lockscreen customization
- Few more refinements in the lock screen customization
- Graphical representation of lockscreen notification style in the Notification settings (for Count, Stack, and List)
- Notification option under Wallet and Apple Pay settings
- Siri Call hang up option is back in Siri and Search settings (it was removed in the last beta)
- Undo Send Delay option in Mail settings
- There are also some UI improvements like large Music widgets on the lock screen, thick volume and track slider in Music
- Multiple bug fixes
In case you find more changes, let us know in the comment section.
The iOS 16 Beta 4 is currently available to developers only. The public beta is expected to release within one day or even later. If you are on the iOS 16 Dev Beta 3, then you can easily update your iPhone from Settings > General > Software Update. Before updating, make sure to take a backup of important data.
If you want to try out the iOS 16 Beta and iPadOS 16 Beta you can follow the detailed installation guide here. In case you want to downgrade, you can follow this guide.