Want to share your favorite music album, business documents, or even a slew of high-resolution images with your friends or colleagues? Then, creating a Zip archive is one of the best ways to store the files into one package, that you can send to the others without worrying about losing the quality of photos.
But do you know, how to do it from the iPhone or iPad? In case, you didn’t know, here’s the step by step guide by which you can zip or unzip files on iPhone and iPad.
Apple brings the Zip files support to the iPhone and iPad with iOS 11, which allows users to check the files available in the Zip. Although, the ability to compress or uncompress the archives comes with the iOS 13 or iPadOS 13. But Apple brings a slew of enhancements to the Files app on the iPhone and iPad with iOS 14 / iPadOS 14. The newer OS allows you to select multiple items inside the files app and create a compressed Zip archive within the Files app. Other than that, now you can also directly connect your encrypted USB drive on your iPad. Yes, It reads the data from the encrypted drive as well.
Now let’s dive right into the process of How to Zip files on iPhone or iPad or How to Unzip files on iPhone or iPad running on iOS 13 or iOS 14.
Before heading over to the process, just want to mention that, there are two different methods, that we cover in this article. The first method is the official method, that allows you to pack or unpack zip files directly from the Files app on iOS 13 or iOS 14 / iPadOS 14. While, in the second method, you need to download a thirty-party application on your iPhone or iPad to uncompress or compress the archive.
How to Zip Files on iPhone or iPad (Official Method)
- At first, Open the Files app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Now head over to the folder (or location), from where you can select the files to create an archive (Zip).
- Here you need to select the item(s) which you want to add into the Zip.
- Now tap on the More option available in the bottom right corner on the iPad.
- Then, tap on the compress option, to create a Zip.
- It will automatically create a zipped archived for you, that you can share with your friends or colleagues.
- That’s it.
Now, let’s take a look at how to unzip files on iOS 14 or iPadOS 14. This method also works on the iOS 13 or iPadOS 13.
How to Unzip Files on iPhone or iPad (Official Method)
- Open the Files app on your iOS device.
- Then, head over to the location where you’ve stored the Zip archive.
- Now touch and hold a file you want to uncompress (or unzip).
- Then, tap on the uncompress option.
- It will automatically unzip the files, available in the archive.
- That’s it.
So, this is one of the easiest ways by which you can zip or unzip files on your iPhone or iPad. But, in case, you’re running on the older version of iOS (like iOS 11 or iOS 12) or if you don’t want to use the default Files app on the iPhone or iPad. Then, below you can check how you can compress or uncompress files using the third-party application on the Apple device.
How to Zip or Unzip Files on iPhone or iPad (using a third-party app)
- At first, you need to download the “Documents by Readdle” app on your iOS device from the app store.
- Now head over to the folder (or location) in which you have stored the Zip file.
- Tap on the file, it will directly show the contents of the file, but you can also uncompress it by tapping the more icon.
- If you want to create a zip, then select the item which you want to store in a Zip.
- Then, tap on the More icon, then click on Zip.
- It will create a Zip file on your iPhone or iPad running on iOS 11 or iOS 12.
- That’s it.
You can also use other third-party apps like iZip, MyMedia, WinZip, or Zip File Viewer on your iOS device.
You May Also Like – How to take a Long Screenshot on iPhone
In case, we miss your favorite method of zipping and unzipping the files on the iPhone or iPad, then make sure to tell us in the comment box. Also, make sure to share this article with your friends.
More Related Articles: