Discord has been the go-to platform when it comes to communicating with friends while gaming. You can easily create servers where you and your friends can easily have audio or video call meetings, text around, and even share your system screens easily with everyone on the server. With Discord turning 8 this year, it has made a few services for which you would require a Nitro subscription.
Apart from this feature being free, Watch Together is a great new feature that was recently released in Discord. Earlier, you were required to share your screen if you and other members of the server wanted to watch something on YouTube together. Now, that has all changed and you can easily access YouTube within Discord without having to launch or open a web browser. If you’re interested in how this can be done then you are in the right place.
Here’s how you can watch YouTube videos with your friends on Discord.
Watch Together is a great feature that was released in March. So, make sure that you have installed the latest version of Discord on your Windows PC. Unfortunately for Discord mobile users, Watch Together is unavailable. To know how to make use of the Watch Together feature, follow these steps.
How to Use Discord’s Watch Together Feature to Watch YouTube Videos with Friends
Making use of Discord’s Watch Together is simple and easy. Normally, this is a paid feature that requires a Discord Nitro subscription but since it’s the birthday month of Discord, users can take advantage of the free Watch Together feature for YouTube. Let’s take a look at what you need.
- Windows Discord App Updated to the Latest Available Version
- Your Discord Server
- Some Friends
Now that you know what’s needed to make a Watch Together happen, it’s time to look at the steps involved to create a successful Watch Together activity.
- First off, launch the Discord app on your Windows PC and call one of your friends from the server.
- Once your friend has joined the voice call in Discord, you should see a few buttons on the call screen at the bottom.
- You should be seeing a new button that has a Rocket icon in the middle.
- All you need to do is click on that button to start a Watch Together party.
- Over here, you can click on the YouTube option.
- Simply sign in and give Discord your YouTube access.
- Once access has been granted, you can now easily watch any YouTube video with your friend right away.
- Now simply invite your friends and start watching.
Points to Note
- You can easily adjust the volume of the video on your end. Muting the audio on your end will not mute the audio for the other participants.
- You and other participants can easily add videos to the YouTube playlist.
- Only the person who started that Watch Together party will be able to fast-forward or rewind the video.
- The main controller of the Watch Together party can easily choose to either keep the control only to themselves or can choose to share it with the other participants.
- A Watch Together party can last up to 180 minutes if watched with a group. If only a single person, then the party can last up to 30 minutes maximum.
- If you have YouTube Premium, you won’t see any ads, otherwise, you are bound to see ads right away.
This concludes the guide on how you can easily watch and stream YouTube videos with your friends right within Discord easily. Since this Watch Together activity is currently free, I’d suggest making the best use of such features while they last.
If you do like the feature even after the free period goes, you can always take a Discord Nitro subscription and enjoy the interesting activities that are available in Discord.