Cloud gaming services have been around for quite some time. Yes, it isn’t available all over the world, but when it does, it will be making a big impact on gaming. Cloud gaming services such as Google Stadia and Amazon Luna not only let you play games on the cloud but also have their own hardware i.e. controllers. Considering that you can make use of these cloud gaming services on any device be it PC or mobile, having the controller is just an added advantage. Today’s guide is about how to use Stadia controller on PC or steam.
Google Stadia’s controller is available when you purchase the Stadia premiere Edition which includes a Chromecast ultra stick for your TV. The Stadia controller is currently available for purchase in regions where the Stadia service is live. The controller alone will cost you $69. The controller comes in three colors Black, White, and Wasabi. Just like the PlayStation controller, the Stadia controller also has its dedicated button to capture screenshots and videos. With that being said about the controller, let’s take a look at how to use your stadia controller on PC.
Use Stadia Controller on PC or Steam
Now that you’ve got your shiny new Google Stadia controller, you need to set it up first before you get on with using it with your PC.
Setup Stadia controller via mobile device
- On your phone download the Stadia app that is available for free on the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store.
- Fire up the app and tap on the controller icon to set the Stadia controller up.
- If it asks you for any kind of permission access grant what is needed for the app to run.
- Also, make sure to turn your device’s Bluetooth to On and ensure it is set to discoverable.
- Turn your Stadia controller On by pressing the Stadia button for a few seconds.
- On the Stadia app tap on the Connect Controller button.
- The app will now look for the Stadia controller.
- When the app detects it, your controller will vibrate, this is when you tap on Yes on the app and then on Continue.
- Now it will ask if you wish to share usage data with Google. Your options are yes or No.
- To connect your controller to your Wi-Fi network, tap on your network name and then enter the password for your network.
- With the controller now connected to your Wi-Fi network, it will check and install any updates if found.
- Your controller will have white light flashing around the Stadia button, if it does, simply tap on its only blinking white button on the app.
And there you have it, your google Stadia controller updated, set up, and connected to your Wi-Fi network.
Well yes, you could use the Stadia to play games on its platform, but do you also know that you could make it work on a desktop or laptop computer? Also, many platforms even support the Stadia controller and even games are nowadays adding support for the Stadia controller. Here is how you can make it work on your PC.
Connect Stadia controller to PC or Steam Client
There are two ways that you can connect the Stadia controller to your PC. One way is by connecting it to your system with the help of the USB Type-C cable. Now, Steam lets you use the Stadia controller for games that have controller support.
Method 1 Wired Mode
- Fire up the Steam client and let the updates install if there are any.
- Head over to the View tab and click on Settings -> Controller -> general Controller Settings.
- Next to Generic Gamepad Configuration Support, click the button to turn it on.
- Now, connect your Stadia controller to the PC via the USB Type-C cable.
- Steam should now be able to detect the Stadia controller that has just been connected.
- Select the Stadia controller on the client and map the buttons that are on the screen.
- At the top left corner of the Steam client turn on the Big Picture Mode.
- Simply navigate to the game you wish to play with your controller and launch it
And this is how you connect your Google Stadia controller to your PC.
Method 2 Wireless Mode
This mode works fine if you are playing games on the Stadia service itself. To use the controller, do the following:
- On a browser that supports Stadia, visit the Stadia homepage.
- Simply perform the sign-in that you would usually do when signing in to a Google service.
- In the upper right corner, click on the white controller button.
- Make sure that your Stadia controller is switched on.
- Press and hold the Studio button on your controller till it starts flashes white.
- Click on Connect Controller, followed by Stadia Controller.
- To link your controller, follow the button press sequence and do the same on your controller by pressing the right buttons in a given particular order
- It will now notify you that your Stadia controller has been linked.
And that is how you link your Stadia controller to play games on the Stadia cloud platform.
Yes, the controller does have Bluetooth but you cannot pair it that way. It is just used to set up the controller and download or install the updates available for it. For PC gaming the Wires option is the best way to get the controller being used for gaming. Also, you can buy the Stadia controller only when the service is live in your region.
You May Also Like – Google Stadia vs Amazon Luna Comparison
If you’ve any query, then leave it in the comment box. Also, share this article with your friends.
More Related Articles: