Software updates have become an important part of our life when dealing with electronics. The updates bring in new features, bug fixes and improve the overall performance of your device. They can sometimes be glitchy, but a quick reset can always make the update run how it was intended to. Smart TVs whether they run on RokuOS, Android TV OS, or any other OS designed for TVs also depend on updates for security and improvements. If you have a Vizio Smart TV, this guide is for you to know how to update Vizio TV.
Vizio Smart TVs are popular for the fact that the prices are pocket-friendly and at the same time have a tom of features that you would use right away. From Screencast to installing apps to viewing content and playing video games, these TVs work just fine. Apart from the obvious reasons for updating Vizio Smart TVs, the newer models, in particular, have Apple’s AirPlay 2 and might have some updates for it as well, read along to know how to update your Vizio Smart TV.
How to update Vizio TV
Updating your Vizio Smart TV is simple and easy. There are two easy that you can use to update the firmware on your Vizio Smart TV.
Method 1: Check for updates on Vizio Smart TV
The first way to update the firmware of your Vizio Smart TV is by making use of the TV itself. Here is how you can check for updates.
- Turn your Vizio Smart TV on and make sure that it is connected to a working Wi-Fi network.
- On your Vizio Smart TV remote, press the Menu button.
- From the menu, select Admin & Privacy. If you have an older Vizio Smart TV select System from the menu.
- With the main option select, select the Check for updates option.
- It will now ask if you want to check for updates. Select Yes.
- The Vizio Smart TV will now begin checking for firmware updates.
- When the TV finds a new firmware update, the download will automatically begin. Update files sizes are small and will download depending on your Internet connection’s speed.
- Let the download begin and make sure to not turn your Vizio TV off.
- With the update downloaded, the TV will now begin to restart to apply the new update.
- The TV will then restart itself again and display that it has successfully installed the update to the Vizio TV.
- And this is how you update your Vizio Smart TV. If there is no software update available then, the TV will simply show that the TV is running on the latest software update.
Method 2: Download Vizio TV firmware from your PC
The second way to update your Vizio Smart TVs firmware update is by manually downloading it to your computer and then installing it to the TV by using a USB flash drive. You can do this if your Wi-Fi connection is weak or the TV is not able to pick the network range. Here is how you can download the firmware for your TV
- Get a USB drive that has at least 2GB of space. Make sure that it is empty and is in the FAT32 format.
- On your computer, visit the Vizio Firmware Search page.
- You will have to enter your TVs serial number. The serial number of your TV will be either printed on the box that it came in or you will find it on a sticker at the back of the TV.
- Once you have neutered the Serial Number, click on the Get Firmware Data.
- It will now pull-out information about the particular tv and also show you if any updates are new and need to be installed.
- If there are new updates you can simply download them. The download might contain one or two ZIP folders.
- Now extract the files and copy the files onto the USB drive. These files should be left out and open and not in any folder.
- Go to your Vizio Smart TV and disconnect it from the power source.
- Plug the USB drive into the USB port of your TV.
- Reconnect the TV to its power.
- You will now see the LED indicator at the front of the TV flashing. This means that the firmware update is now in progress.
- Wait for a while till the LRD indicator stops flashing. You can now unplug the USB drive and power on your TV.
- Press the Menu button on the remote and navigate to System.
- Select System Information and press OK.
- The TV will now show you the version number. You can check and match the version number of the firmware you have downloaded and the firmware installed. If they are the same that means the update has successfully been installed.
These are two ways that you can use to check and install the latest firmware updates for your Vizio Smart TV. If for some reason the update is making your device not function normally, you can always perform a factory reset to make the TV function how it is intended to. You can refer to this guide on how to reset a Vizio Smart TV.
More TV Guide: