Amazon’s FireStick is a great way to convert any basic TV into a smart TV provided it’s got an HDMI port. The excellent part about FireStick is that you can install many apps available via the Amazon App store or you can also choose to sideload the app to your FireStick. While all of that is good, it is always essential to keep the apps you have installed updated.
In today’s guide, we will be taking a look at the many ways you can follow to update the apps on your FireStick. Depending on whether you have installed apps from the Amazon Store or sideloaded them, you can choose the method that goes well to update the apps on your FireStick. Let’s get started.
We will be showing you four ways that you can follow to update the apps on your Amazon FireStick. choose whichever method works best for you.
How to update apps on Amazon FireStick via Amazon App Store
This method will work for apps that have been preinstalled on your FireStick or have been downloaded from the dedicated Amazon App Store. Here are the steps you need to follow to update the apps on your Amazon FireStick.
- Power up the Amazon FireStick and navigate the Settings app on your home screen.
- Choose the Applications option from the Settings menu.
- Select App Store and choose Automatic Updates.
- Make sure to have the option set to On.
- The apps will not automatically update themselves whenever the FireStick is connected to the Internet.
- This is how you can get the apps updated on your Amazon FireStick.
How to update apps on Amazon FireStick via Software Update
One odd way that you can follow to update the apps on your Amazon FireStick is by using the system updater tool. Now, it is not a solution that anyone would think of when it comes to updating apps. But, when your Amazon FireStick gives you the option to do so, you should try it. Here is how to update the apps via the System Updater.
- Grab the remote for your FireStick and navigate to the Settings icon on the home screen of your FireStick.
- Select the My Fire TV option from the available options under the Settings menu.
- Select About, followed by Check for Updates.
- Your Amazon FireStick will begin to check for any updates whether software or app updates are available.
- When such updates are available, FireStick will begin to download them right away.
- And that is how you can update apps on your Amazon FireStick. Do note that this method world for apps that have been preinstalled or downloaded from the Amazon App Store.
How to update apps on Amazon FireStick from Home Screen
One other way to update the apps installed from the Amazon App Store is by updating them without visiting the App Store or the Settings menu. Here is how you can update the apps.
- Select the App icon from the home screen on your FireStick.
- Now, you will see a list of all installed apps.
- Simply highlight the app that you wish to update.
- Press the button that has the three horizontal lines on your FireStick remote.
- Choose the More Info option that you see at the bottom right of your screen.
- If there is an update available, the update option will be displayed.
- Select Update to download the latest available update for the particular app.
How to update third-party apps on Amazon FireStick
A FireStick user will be able to install third-party apps on their Amazon FireStick by simply sideloading them or manually downloading the APK file to later install them on the FireStick. Before we look into how you can update such apps, you need to ensure that you have the Developer Option enabled on FireStick. Her is how.
- Open the Settings menu from your FireStick’s home screen.
- Choose the My Fire TV option from the Settings menu.
- Select Developer Options and select Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Make sure to turn this feature on.
- A confirmation dialogue will appear asking if you really want to allow app installation from unknown sources.
- Confirm the dialog box and you are good to go.
Now, follow the next step to download the Downloader app on your Amazon FireStick.
- Launch the Amazon App Store on your FireStick.
- Select the Search option and type in Downloader.
- The app will have an orange app icon. When you see it from the results, select it to download the app.
- Once the app has been downloaded, run the app.
- You should see the search bar and the on-screen keyboard shows up.
- On your PC, head over to APKMirror and search for the app you want.
- Once you find the app, make sure to type in the web address for the APKMirror page in your FireStick.
- You will be directed to the APKMirror download page for the app.
- Simply download the app and then install it right away.
- This is how you can update the sideloaded apps on your FireStick.
These are the various ways you can follow to update the apps installed on your Amazon FireStick. Whether you have installed the apps via the Amazon App Store or sideloaded them, you can easily update any app right away. If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.