If you are thinking about rooting OnePlus 6T then first you need to Unlock Bootloader. So here is how to unlock bootloader and Root OnePlus 6T. Well, it’s not a complicated procedure but you need to be careful as it may brick your devices.
Bricking devices is now a common issue which can also be resolved. But why to waste time on that if we can root the phone without bricking. Talking about OnePlus 6 the official TWRP is not available right now. But with the help of unofficial TWRP recovery, we can install Magisk to root OnePlus 6T. Most of the developers like to introduce custom ROMs, recoveries, and other files mainly for OnePlus & Xiaomi phones. So soon we will get the official TWRP recovery for OnePlus 6T. So if you can’t wait and want to root OnePlus 6T right now then you are at right place.
Note: Unlocking Bootloader will remove all the data in your phone so make sure to take a full backup.
Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 6T
As you know to root OnePlus 6T we have to first unlock the bootloader on it. Bootloader feature has been for a long time in mobiles to keep the device protected from formatting and flashing. But the company also let users unlock the bootloader if they want. So if you want to unlock bootloader go through the following steps.
Requirement: An external storage device (pen drive, USB Type C OTG, SD card) which can be accessed from OnePlus 6T. Also, transfer the Magisk zip (link given below) to the external storage.
Enable Developer Options: On OnePlus 6T go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number. Continuously tap on build number until it says now you are a developer.
Enable OEM Unlocking: Again go to settings > System > Developer Options. In developer options enable the OEM Unlocking. This step is necessary to unlock bootloader in any phone.
Enable USB Debugging: Along with OEM unlocking also enable USB debugging in developer options.
Enable Advanced Reboot: Also enable Advanced Reboot in developer option same as USB debugging and OEM unlock.
Install ADB & Fastboot Drivers: ADB driver is needed so you need to install the driver. I will recommend installing ADB & Fastboot driver. Use the link to know how to install.
Now that you have completed these tasks on the phone then follow these steps.
- Download blu-spark TWRP recovery for OP6
- Download Magisk (download the latest version if available)
- Download Tool All In One
- Open the Tool All In One and update the tool if available.
- Connect OnePlus 6T with PC via USB.
- A pop up will appear asking to allow USB debugging. Check the box and click OK.
- Now Click on Check which is next to bootloader status.
- If the tool shows the device name in green color means your device is connected.
- Then click on Unlock Bootloader.
- Now in phone navigate using volume buttons and go to Unlock the Bootloader and press power button. Do not disconnect the phone.
- The phone will reboot after wiping everything. That’s it! you have unlocked the bootloader in OnePlus 6T.
Root OnePlus 6T Using Magisk
Once the bootloader is unlocked setup your device and again enable developer option, enable USB debugging, and enable Advanced reboot. And then follow the steps mentioned below.
- Connect the phone again if disconnected.
- Allow USB debugging when the pop up appears.
- Again click on the check to see the device connected or not.
- Now click on Recovery Flasher. Swap select recovery with Manual Mode.
- Browse and locate the twrp recovery that you have downloaded earlier.
- Click on Flash. It will install and boot into TWRP recovery. Remove the cable to attach external storage.
- In TWRP click on Read Only. Attach the external storage containing Magisk zip.
- Now go to mount > select storage. Then select the attached external storage like USB storage or SD card. and then click OK.
- Again come back to TWRP home and then go to Install > select Magisk zip and swipe to install.
- Reboot into the system and enjoy the rooted OnePlus 6T.
So that’s all you have to do to root OnePlus 6T. As we have installed an unofficial TWRP recovery so whenever the official TWRP recovery gets available then install that recovery using the same method. Check the availability of official TWRP recovery here.