One of the most popular plug-in devices for TVs has to be the Amazon FireStick. Well, there are many reasons why everyone wants to own the FireStick. You can easily convert any basic TV that has an HDMI port into a smarter one. Plus, you can also install and stream your favorite apps and services that offer free local TV channels, TV series, and movies right away.
Now, we’ve spoken about how you can turn on your FireStick and even perform a reset on your FireStick. However, there seems to be one particular question that a lot of people have and that is, how to turn off a FireStick? Well, today, we put an end to the guessing game as we will talk about whether you can actually turn the FireStick off and what ways you can follow to power it off. Let’s get started.
How to Power Off Amazon Fire TV
Now, to answer the most important question of all, no, you cannot power off the Amazon FireStick. You can only put it into a lower power mode by enabling the sleep mode. Well, if you want to know how you can enable this low-power mode, we have mentioned a few different ways that you can follow.
Enable Low Power mode via Settings
You can follow these steps to enable the sleep mode on your Amazon FireStick.
- Grab the FireStick remote and navigate to the Settings menu on the home screen.
- On your screen, you will now see a few options.
- Highlight the option that says Sleep with the moon icon.
- Selecting it will enable the sleep mode on your Amazon FireStick.
- To remove it from sleep mode, simply press any of the volume buttons or the previous and next buttons on your FireStick remote.
Enable Sleep via Remote Shortcut
There is another way for you to enable the Sleep mode on your Amazon FireStick without having to rummage through the Settings menu.
- Grab the remote and press the Home button.
- Keep the button pressed for about 5 seconds.
- You should now see a screen that displays the time and multiple options below it.
- Navigate and select the Sleep option to enable Sleep mode on your Amazon FireStick.
- You can press either the volume or the previous/next button on your remote to remove it from Sleep mode.
Enable Sleep via Mobile Device
The Amazon App for Android and iOS devices is a very useful app as it acts as a replacement for your lost or damaged remote. Apart from all the basic functions that the app can perform, you can also use the app to put the FireStick into Sleep mode. Here is how you can perform this function.
- Download and install the Amazon FireTV app on your Android or iOS device.
- Make sure that the mobile device and your FireStick are connected to the same wifi network.
- Now, launch the app and sign into it with the same account used on FireStick.
- Tap on the Gear icon present at the top left corner of the app.
- Simply tap on the Sleep option. Your Amazon FireStick will now be enabled on the low power mode.
Unplug the FireStick
The steps mentioned above will only keep your FireStick in Sleep Mode. But, if you want to actually power off your Amazon FireStick, there is no other way than unplugging it from the TV or switching off its power source. The reason why the FireStick doesn’t have a Sleep option is simply that it will be easier for it to update its software automatically when it’s not being used.
If you have any questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.