Have you ever taken an interest in a particular show or movie and realized it’s on a streaming service unavailable in your region? Yeah, a lot of people feel that way, especially with Hulu.
Hulu is a streaming service that lets you watch numerous shows and movies in the USA, Puerto Rico, and a few regions in Japan (Nippon TV has acquired Hulu Japan), if you are someone who resides in Canada and thought you’d get access to Hulu right away, well you can’t – at least officially.
While you can still watch some Hulu content in Canada via Disney+, you obviously won’t be getting everything, and maybe, you might not even get the show you actually wanted to watch. PS, the only best way to get access to Hulu in Canada is by making use of a VPN. Do not worry, we will be listing all the steps and things that you will require for streaming Hulu in Canada.
Table of Contents
Before we get into how to watch Hulu in Canada, there are a few things that you will need.
- Reliable VPN Service
- US Credit Card (you could ask a friend in the US to let you borrow their card)
How to Stream Hulu in Canada [using VPN]
Now, while looking for a VPN service, it’s safer to choose ones that are reliable and have a good number of servers. Services like Nord VPN, ExpressVPN, or even Surfshark VPN. These VPN services have a reasonable monthly plan plus, you can make use of the 30-day free trial to see how it works with accessing Hulu in Canada.
Once you have sorted out the VPN service of your choice, you will have to decide what device you will use to stream Hulu. You can choose between using your PC or mobile device. For the best experience, using your PC is recommended.
Sign Up and Payment
While signing up for Hulu, it is necessary that you switch the VPN on and set your region to the USA. With the VPN connected, open the web browser on your PC and head over to this webpage. Once you have opened the webpage, you will be asked to choose a plan. Here are all the plans available for you to choose from.
|Hulu No Ads||$12.99||Monthly||Yes|
|Hulu with Ads||$6.99||Monthly||Yes|
|Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN (No Ads)||$19.99||Monthly||No|
|Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN (With Ads)||$13.99||Monthly||No|
|Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN (No Ads+ Live TV)||$75.99||Monthly||No|
Once you’ve selected the plan of your choice, you will now have to pay for the plan. With regards to payments, you will be able to only use American payment options. So, your Canadian payment options will not work. In this case, you can purchase a Hulu gift card from various online retailers or borrow your friend’s credit card to make the payment.
Once the payment has been completed, you can start streaming Hulu right away. However, you need to note that the plans renew automatically, so always be sure to pay the person from whom you’ve borrowed the credit card for signing up. You can use PayPal to send them the amount for the Hulu bill.
How to Watch Hulu in Canada on Android [by sideloading app]
Since the Hulu service is not officially available in Canada, you might not find the Android app on your Google Play Store. However, if you make use of a VPN service and set the server to the US region, you should be able to get the Hulu app.
Here is how.
- Launch the Google Play Store and download a VPN of your choice. You can use a free or paid one for this purpose.
- Once the VPN has been installed, launch the app and select the server as the US.
- Now, make sure to close the Google Play Store and launch it again with the VPN running.
- The Play Store should now detect that it is in the US and should display apps that are popular and exclusive in the US.
- Search for the Hulu app or use this link and tap on the green install button.
- Once the Hulu app has been downloaded, simply log in and you are good to go.
However, if the above method isn’t working for you, you can always sideload the Hulu Android app to your Android device. Follow these steps.
- Launch the web browser on your Android device.
- Now, search for the APK Mirror website. Alternatively, you can click on this link.
- Now, select the latest available app version and download it to your Android device.
- Once the app has been installed, launch the VPN service, connect to the US server and log into Hulu right away.
- If you haven’t sideloaded an app before, you will have to first give permission to the browser to install the app. from unknown sources.
How to Get Hulu app on Smart TV in Canada
This can sometimes be a big issue, especially if you are having a smart TV that doesn’t run on Android TV OS or Google TV OS. Those who have an Android TV will be able to easily sideload the app to their TV by following the methods mentioned above for Android mobile devices.
In the case of smart TVs such as Samsung, and LG, there’s no way to install a VPN app and neither is there a way to sideload the Hulu app. For such TVs, it is recommended that you plug in an Amazon Firestick. You can follow these steps to install Hulu on the Amazon Firestick in Canada.
- Before downloading the apps to your Firestick, you will have to change your Amazon account’s region to the US.
- head over to the website and log in with your account credentials.
- Click on the Accounts and List options and select Account and Content.
- Here, you should see the option to change the region to the US Change and save the changes.
- On your Amazon Firestick, head over to Settings and sign out of your Amazon account.
- In a few minutes sign back in and you should now see your account region set to the US.
- open the app store and search for a VPN service. You can use reputable VPN services like SurfShark or ExpressVPN.
- Once you find the VPN and the Hulu app, install them on your Amazon Firestick.
- Before launching the Hulu app, make sure to launch the VPN service, select the US server and then launch the Hulu app.
- Once the VPN connection has been successful, you can sign into the Hulu app with your account details and be able to stream content right away.
How to Watch Hulu in Canada on iPhone
When it comes to iPhones, you will have to first change the country or region on your device before being able o download the Hulu app. Follow these steps.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap on your name.
- Select media and Purchases followed by View Account.
- Now, enter the passcode when asked.
- Select the Country/Region option and choose United States.
- The iPhone will ask you to accept and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once you have agreed, you will have to enter an address that is valid in the United States.
- Once you’ve entered the address, tap on Done.
- In a few minutes, your iPhone will be set to the United States region.
- Simply launch the App Store, search for the Hulu app and install it. Also, download a reliable VPN service if you haven’t done that yet.
- Launch the VPN app, select the United States server and then launch the Hulu app to stream your movies.
How to Get Hulu app on Apple TV or Roku TV in Canada
While these two streaming devices are great, it can be a headache to install apps not available in your country or region since they don’t let you sideload apps. However, the only way to get the Hulu app to these devices is by setting up a VPN configuration to your wifi router.
For this, you will need to download the VPN’s configuration files and then make the necessary changes to your wifi router. Once the manual settings have been done you can now easily download the Hulu app to your Roku Stick or Apple TV and then begin streaming and watching Hulu right away in Canada.
How to Buy Hulu Subscription in Canada [using Gift Card]
The other way to pay for a Hulu subscription in Canada is by purchasing Hulu gift cards. These gift cards are legal for you and do not have an expiry date. Hulu gift cards can be purchased online on websites such as Walmart and Best Buy.
The 12-digit code is sent to you via your email address. Once you get the gift card, you can follow these steps to redeem your Hulu subscription.
- First off, head over to the accounts page on the Hulu website.
- Next, you need to head over to the Payments Information
- Once the Payments page is open, you will see the Gift or Promotional Code section.
- All you have to do is enter the 12-digit redemption code.
- Once the code has been entered, you can now enjoy streaming your Hulu content for a month.
How to Watch Hulu in Canada [Other Payment Methods]
Apart from using gift cards or an American credit card, you can also make use of PayPal but, you’ll have to create a US-based account in order to pay for Hulu while residing in Canada.
If you want, you can also make use of a virtual prepaid card service that lets you add your Canadian credit or debit card which acts as an American credit card online. While making use of such services, you will be required to verify your identity with various documents such as your national ID or passport.
Once you subscribe to the service, you can watch Hulu on your smart TV, smartphone, PC, Browser, consoles, and every compatible model.
Now let’s take some most questioned FAQs regarding streaming Hulu in Canada.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it legal to watch Hulu in Canada with a VPN?
Yes, it is legal to make use of a VPN to get access to Hulu in Canada. As long as you make use of legit payment methods, you will be fine.
Can I use a free VPN to access Hulu in Canada?
While free VPNs can be used, they won’t be able to unlock various streaming platforms and there could be issues with servers, speeds, and possibly your internet browsing being shared to third-party vendors.
Can you watch Hulu Content on Disney+?
Disney+ lets you watch some Hulu content tags with the addition of Star. The downside is that you won’t get all the shows from Hulu on your Disney+ subscription.
Will Hulu ever come to Canada?
Due to licensing issues and other problems, Hulu was not available in Canada. Looking at the future of its availability, it is difficult to assume that Hulu will someday make its way to Canada anytime soon.
Can I watch Live TV on Hulu?
Yes, you can. If you have opted for the Hulu+ Live TV plans, you get access to 50+ live tv channels that you can watch. To stream channels, you will need to use a VPN service as direct access is blocked in Canada.
This concludes the guide on how you can watch Hulu in Canada via a VPN in 2023. The reason why free VPNs are not recommended is simply that you might not be able to access the servers, speeds could be slow, and most importantly of all, these free VPNs could be selling your online data to other third-party organizations.
There could be a chance that these free VPNs might also be blocked from trying to access the Hulu website, hence the need for a reliable VPN plays an important role here. If you have questions or queries on how to watch Hulu in Canada, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.